• China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

acknowledge etc.

Dear teachers,

I have four questions to ask:

No.1
    With so much evidence against him he has to _____ his error.
    a. confess b. admit c. acknowledge
    The key is 'c'. If I choose 'a' then I should say " to confess to his error'. Is that right? And I can't choose 'b' because we don't say ' to admit error'. Is that right?

No.2
    Portugal only has ________ with Spain, since Macau went to Chinese administration by the end of 1999.
    a. frontier b. border
    The key is 'a'. 'border' is only used in contexts such as 'border conflict' etc. Is that right?

No.3
    According to common sense, the egg will begin to ________ after a day in the sun.
    a. rot b. decompose c. decay
    The key is 'b'. Could you please why 'a' isn't correct? I can find the expression 'rotting eggs' in my dictionary. Then why can't I say ' Eggs rot'?
    'decay' can't be used with 'egg'. Is that right?

No.4
    The children _____ how to navigate on the Internet using search tools and the browser.
    a. demonstrated b. showed
    The key is 'a'. According to my dictionary 'demonstrate' means 'to show something and explain how it works. ''show' means 'to explain something to someone, by doing it or by giving instructions or examples'
    . My question is why 'b' isn't the correct answer?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    Last edited by jiang; 12-Apr-2007 at 10:51.

Noego is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: acknowledge etc.

No.2
    Portugal only has ________ with Spain, since Macau went to Chinese administration by the end of 1999.
    a. frontier b. border
    The key is 'a'. 'border' is only used in contexts such as 'border conflict' etc. Is that right?
    I don't think border is only used in contexts such as border conflict.

According to Collins:

"The border between two countries or regions is the dividing line between them. Sometimes the border also refers to the land close to this line.

They fled across the border.
    ...the isolated jungle area near the Panamanian border...
    Clifford is enjoying life north of the border.
    ...the Mexican border town of Tijuana...
    = frontier"

So according to my dictionary, border and frontier have the exact same meaning.

Here's one small difference you might find interesting.

Here's what I found for the definition of frontier:

A frontier is a border between two countries. (BRIT; in AM [America], usually use border)

So from what I make of it:

British English: Frontier
    American English: Border

"It wasn't difficult then to cross the frontier."

I would like to know why A is any better than B in your example. From what I can tell, it's only a cultural differences expressed through language.

Like traveling (American) and travelling (British).

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Dear teachers,

No.1

The key is 'c'. If I choose 'a' then I should say " to confess to his error'. Is that right? And I can't choose 'b' because we don't say ' to admit error'. Is that right? Yes (and no - you can admit error, but in this exercise I would avoid it)

No.2
    a. frontier b. border

The key is 'a'. 'border' is only used in contexts such as 'border conflict' etc. Is that right? No - border and frontier in this context are both correct. It should have an indefinite article in front. But the sentence doesn't make sense anyhow.

No.3
    According to common sense, the egg will begin to ________ after a day in the sun.
    a. rot b. decompose c. decay

The key is 'b'. Could you please why 'a' isn't correct? I can find the expression 'rotting eggs' in my dictionary. Then why can't I say ' Eggs rot'?
    'decay' can't be used with 'egg'. Is that right? science - decompose is the start of the process by which something rots. The egg has been in the sun for one day, so it is starting to rot - decomposing.

No.4
    The children _____ how to navigate on the Internet using search tools and the browser.
    a. demonstrated b. showed

The key is 'a'. According to my dictionary 'demonstrate' means 'to show something and explain how it works. ''show' means 'to explain something to someone, by doing it or by giving instructions or examples'. My question is why 'b' isn't the correct answer? You would need a pronoun with "show" - showed us/their friends/their class. They are "demonstrating" a technique.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear Noego,
    Thank you very much for your explanation. I don't know why the key is 'a'. That's why I asked.

Best wishes,

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by Noego View Post
    I don't think border is only used in contexts such as border conflict.

According to Collins:

"The border between two countries or regions is the dividing line between them. Sometimes the border also refers to the land close to this line.

They fled across the border.
    ...the isolated jungle area near the Panamanian border...
    Clifford is enjoying life north of the border.
    ...the Mexican border town of Tijuana...
    = frontier"

So according to my dictionary, border and frontier have the exact same meaning.

Here's one small difference you might find interesting.

Here's what I found for the definition of frontier:

A frontier is a border between two countries. (BRIT; in AM [America], usually use border)

So from what I make of it:

British English: Frontier
    American English: Border

"It wasn't difficult then to cross the frontier."

I would like to know why A is any better than B in your example. From what I can tell, it's only a cultural differences expressed through language.

Like traveling (American) and travelling (British).

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

&
    Dear Anglika,
    Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I understand No.2-4.
    As to No.1 could you please explain how to decide when to say 'admit an error'?

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

It would be found in a sentence like " You must admit the error of your ways"; " I can admit [to] an error of judgement" . It is not particularly common, but is accepted.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear Anglika,
    Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see.
    Jiang

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    It would be found in a sentence like " You must admit the error of your ways"; " I can admit [to] an error of judgement" . It is not particularly common, but is accepted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Dear teachers,

No.1
    The key is 'c'. If I choose 'a' then I should say " to confess to his error'. Is that right? And I can't choose 'b' because we don't say ' to admit error'. Is that right?
    From acknowledge - Definitions from Dictionary.com on synonyms:

Acknowledge implies making a statement reluctantly, often about something previously denied: to acknowledge a fault. Admit especially implies acknowledging something under pressure: to admit a charge. Confess usually means stating somewhat formally an admission of wrongdoing, crime, or shortcoming: to confess guilt; to confess an inability to understand.

The following is from the same source:

Synonyms: These verbs mean to admit the reality or truth of something, often reluctantly.

To acknowledge is to accept responsibility for something one makes known: He acknowledged his mistake.

Admit implies reluctance in acknowledging one's acts or another point of view: "She was attracted by the frankness of a suitor who . . . admitted that he did not believe in marriage" (Edith Wharton).

Own stresses personal acceptance and responsibility: She owned that she feared for the child's safety.

Avow means to assert openly and boldly: "Old Mrs. Webb avowed that he, in the space of two hours, had worn out her pew more . . . than she had by sitting in it forty years" (Kate Douglas Wiggin).

Confess usually emphasizes disclosure of something damaging or inconvenient to oneself: I have to confess that I lied to you.
    To concede is to intellectually accept something, often against one's will: The lawyer refused to concede that the two cases had similarities.
    All the best.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear Cas,
    Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see.

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea View Post
    From acknowledge - Definitions from Dictionary.com on synonyms:

Acknowledge implies making a statement reluctantly, often about something previously denied: to acknowledge a fault. Admit especially implies acknowledging something under pressure: to admit a charge. Confess usually means stating somewhat formally an admission of wrongdoing, crime, or shortcoming: to confess guilt; to confess an inability to understand.

The following is from the same source:
    Synonyms: These verbs mean to admit the reality or truth of something, often reluctantly.

To acknowledge is to accept responsibility for something one makes known: He acknowledged his mistake.

Admit implies reluctance in acknowledging one's acts or another point of view: "She was attracted by the frankness of a suitor who . . . admitted that he did not believe in marriage" (Edith Wharton).

Own stresses personal acceptance and responsibility: She owned that she feared for the child's safety.

Avow means to assert openly and boldly: "Old Mrs. Webb avowed that he, in the space of two hours, had worn out her pew more . . . than she had by sitting in it forty years" (Kate Douglas Wiggin).

Confess usually emphasizes disclosure of something damaging or inconvenient to oneself: I have to confess that I lied to you.

To concede is to intellectually accept something, often against one's will: The lawyer refused to concede that the two cases had similarities.
    All the best.