Post Thanks / Like

Editing needed!!

Each FL/SL teacher needs to have a minimum knowledge of the merits and demerits of adopting a textbook in a literacy course; which might be one of the reasons for FL/SL teachers to read this chapter. Although adopting a text in a course depends mostly on both students’ needs and institutions requirements, L2 literacy programs need most to be text book based, I guess. It is more to help teachers have a clear vision of their goals and objectives than a call for a rigid and guided instruction. Relying on a textbook should not be in any way a means to limit teachers’ creativity. If the textbook is well selected, it should be flexible; it is flexibility that leaves the door open for teachers to adapt, add, or exclude materials according to emergent students needs.
    As an EFL student I find it more interesting and secure to have a text book in hand during my first years of learning English. I believe, though, that it depends on learners’ level and their academic goals. Having comprehensive and up-to-date textbooks, which include variety of engaging activities, will be of great help to low proficiency learners. Beginners and low proficiency L2 learners need more guided and control tasks to help them frame and initiate a writing process. (Ferris & Hedgcock, 2004). On the other hand, highly proficient learners need more argumentative topics; they need to read different genres having in mind some argumentative questions to develop what is called “argumentative literacy”.( Schomoker,2007).
    Teachers should also pay more attention to the activities included in the textbooks they select for their students. Unstructured activities, for instance free writing, should focus on a relevant theme or topics and should lead into a goal-oriented activity such as reflecting on articles, books review, and planning formal writing assignments. In centralized educational systems,teachers have no control on selecting textbooks. Here, English language teachers might have another chance to contribute in this process by either writing their suggestions to the ministry, which most of teachers are not encouraged to do, or by supplementing additional materials they find beneficial for their students.
    This is a very sensitive issue back home, because some teachers argue that the time is not enough for adding more stuff to the textbook, and they are obliged by school system to finish a certain amount of syllabus within a certain amount of time; an argument I completely understand. So, in these types of environment, how EFL teachers can adapt and supplement what he/she believes is good for students, a question my other classmates may like to answer depending on their different experiences.
    Adaptation, though, is a necessity not only with textbooks, but also with every aspect that might influence the teaching / learning process. For example, a teacher can adapt his instructional strategies and expectations to the limited sources he/she has by encouraging students to use multiple sources for information and not limit their research or reading about a topic to only what is provided in the textbook. Encyclopedia and the worldwide web, or Internet, are good sources for additional information.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Editing needed!!

Hashem, a few suggestions:

course; which- either course, which or course; this
    Although adopting a text - text or textbook?
    text book- textbook
    emergent students needs- student needs as they emerge
    As an EFL student I- As an EFL student, I
    in hand- I'd use to hand or in my hand
    include variety- a
    control tasks-controlled
    different genres having in mind - different genres, bearing in mind
    that the time is not enough- that there is not enought time to add
    how EFL teachers can adapt and supplement what he/she believes is good for students,- I'd add 'this raisesx the question of how...' before it
    a teacher can adapt his- this should be his/her as you have you he/she later in the sentence
    not limit- not to limit (balances better to me)
    worldwide web, or Internet- either capitalise both or use both in lower case.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much teacher. Your remarks were of great value to me.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like