Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Good/ Well/ Fine

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim View Post
    language is democratic. It is the dictatorship of the majority (usage) and not of some grammarians. Their job is only to record as objectively as possible.
    Well...
    The majority, if you take a boo around this Forum and others like it - and there are tons of English grammar help sites out there - may be using language the way they want, but they are here and they're asking us what we think they should be using. That in itself tells me language is not all that democratic.

What are your thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jamshid
    language is democratic.
    The problem is, Jamshid, that examiners aren't that democratic and most of those who post questions over here are students who unfortunately have to face exams! Fortunately I'm not one of them so I can enjoy it but these poor guys can't write 'it depends' as an answer.
    queenbu

Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by queenbu View Post
    The problem is, Jamshid, that examiners aren't that democratic and most of those who post questions over here are students who unfortunately have to face exams! Fortunately I'm not one of them so I can enjoy it but these poor guys can't write 'it depends' as an answer.
    queenbu
    Queen: I am not talking about exams. I am talking about language in general. Teachers certainly need to stick to some rules but at the same time they need to be aware of language change (specifically English). English is experiencing changes unprecedented in human history.Teachers IMO should find a middle way between accuracy and fleuency. They should neither be too fanatic about mistakes nor accept sloppiness. language is a human product ie organic not fixed. In fact there is nothing right or wrong. What was a mistake sometime ago is correcr today. It is a game of right and wrong.. It is better if there are grammar mistakes but the message gets across than accurate but difficult to understand.

BTW I personally believe exams spoil fun in language learning. In addition, they create tension. The moment I start my lectures at the university my students start bombarding me with questions related to exams. On the other hand I know no exams mean no serious learning. I am personally in a dilemma about this issue. I haven't still found a way to deal with this problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jamshid
    I am not talking about exams. I am talking about language in general. Teachers certainly need to stick to some rules but at the same time they need to be aware of language change (specifically English). English is experiencing changes unprecedented in human history.Teachers IMO should find a middle way between accuracy and fleuency. They should neither be too fanatic about mistakes nor accept sloppiness. language is a human product ie organic not fixed. In fact there is nothing right or wrong. What was a mistake sometime ago is correcr today. It is a game of right and wrong.. It is better if there are grammar mistakes but the message gets across than accurate but difficult to understand.
    I know that you're not talking about exams, Jamshid, when you say that language is democratic but I also like to be realistic. I'm sure BellyT has to sit for some exam and he expects a clear answer. Exams are a necessary evil, in my opinion.
    As I said before, I can enjoy it because I don't have to sit for any exams. I joined this forum just for my pleasure and I'm learning a lot but if I were a student I would expect definite answers. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    It's not only the English language that is democratic. The Italian which I learnt at school and the Italian I use every day here in Italy are certainly different, but if I have to write a business letter or if I had to sit for an Italian exam I know what I should write.

Queenbu

Post Thanks / Like

jamshid says that language is lexible. that is true.
    But as teachers, we have to take all the possibilities and implications and details into account. so we ve to follow the rules.
    we ve exams, quize, etc,,, that we have to make :(

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody answer mine?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belly T View Post
    My teacher said" She's done me good", it's an adv
    According to this source, click on 'Do well', that phrase means "to excell at a task [e.g., she has done well in her exams]. 'Do good' is to perform some worthwhile action, such as a charitable act [e.g. He has done good (work)]."

Here's what I know:

has done me (some) good <substantive noun; benefitted healthwise>
    Ex: When Rome was about to leave, W. said, "It has done me good to see you again, Andrew, after all these years. Source

(has) done me good <adverb; Idiom: to be perfectly tricked or deceived>
    Ex: Oh, Max and Sam (have) done me good. They emptied our joint bank account and left the country.

has done me well <adverb; benefitted from excellent advice>
    Ex: I believe in doing all I can to brighten the planet, and Frank has done me well—oh! handsomely—many's the time!" Source

All the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Healthwise?

Post Thanks / Like

What's a substance noun? and what is "benifitted healthwise'?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belly T View Post
    What's a substance noun? and what is "benifitted healthwise'?
    For example, I wasn't feeling well but my friend made me leave the house and go for a walk in the park. I'm starting to feel better. The walk has done me some good.

A substantive is a word that substitutes for another; e.g., He has done good (work). Good, an adjective in form, stands in for the noun phrase good work and so it functions as a noun; e.g., It has done me some good. Here good functions as a noun. It's modified by some.

All the best.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast