• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

comprehension

Dear teachers,

I was two passages yesterday which were difficult to understand. I reread them again this morning but still couldn't understand the choices. To save your time I am typing the relavant parts, I think. Could you please explain the reasons for the choice?

1. It is a very interesting question why some people remember dreams regularly while others remember hardly any at all under normal conditions. In considering this, it is important to bear in mind that the dream tends to be an elusive phenomenon fo rall of us. We normally never recall a dream unless we awaken directly from it. and even then it has a tendency to fade quickly into oblivion.
    Given this general elusiveness of dreams, the basic factor that seems to determine whether a person remembers them or not is the same as that which determines all other memory, namely degree of interest. Tests have shown that cool analytical people with a very rational apprach to their feelings tend to recall fewer dreams than those whose attitude to life is open and flexible.
    Those who recall their dreams tend to be ________.
    a. parctical b. unrealistic c. disorganized d. imaginative
    The correct answer is 'd'. But where is the clue?

2. One of the most authoritative voices speaking to us today is, of course, teh voice of the advertisers. Its strident clamour dominates our lives. It shouts at us from the television screen and the radio loudspeakers; waves to us from every page of the newpaper; plucks at our sleeves on the escalator; signals to us from the roadside billboards all day and flashes messages to us in cloured lights all night. It has forced on us a whole new conception of the successful man as a man no less than 20%of whose mail consists of announcements of giant carpet sales.

1. According to the passage, modern advertising is "authoritative" because of the way it_______.
    a. influences our image of the kind person we ought to be like
    b. interferes with the privacy of home life
    c. contunually forces us into buying things
    d. distracts us no matter where we travel
    The key is 'a'. But I just don't understand why.
    2. The form of advertising which has best succeeded in conferring personal status n the individual makes use of________.
    a. coloured lights all night b. roadside billboards
    c. the postal service d. the wall space beside escalators
    The key is 'c'. I guess it refers to the part 'no less than 20%of whose mail consists of announcements of giant carpet sales'. Am I right?

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: comprehension

Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    Dear teachers,

I was two passages yesterday which were difficult to understand. I reread them again this morning but still couldn't understand the choices. To save your time I am typing the relavant parts, I think. Could you please explain the reasons for the choice?

1. It is a very interesting question why some people remember dreams regularly while others remember hardly any at all under normal conditions. In considering this, it is important to bear in mind that the dream tends to be an elusive phenomenon fo rall of us. We normally never recall a dream unless we awaken directly from it. and even then it has a tendency to fade quickly into oblivion.
    Given this general elusiveness of dreams, the basic factor that seems to determine whether a person remembers them or not is the same as that which determines all other memory, namely degree of interest. Tests have shown that cool analytical people with a very rational apprach to their feelings tend to recall fewer dreams than those whose attitude to life is open and flexible.

The clue is in "Tests have shown that cool analytical people with a very rational apprach to their feelings tend to recall fewer dreams than those whose attitude to life is open and flexible. "

The only one that fits the criteria is "d".

2. One of the most authoritative voices speaking to us today is, of course, teh voice of the advertisers. Its strident clamour dominates our lives. It shouts at us from the television screen and the radio loudspeakers; waves to us from every page of the newpaper; plucks at our sleeves on the escalator; signals to us from the roadside billboards all day and flashes messages to us in cloured lights all night. It has forced on us a whole new conception of the successful man as a man no less than 20%of whose mail consists of announcements of giant carpet sales.

1. According to the passage, modern advertising is "authoritative" because of the way it_______.
    The clue is the words "successful man".

2. The form of advertising which has best succeeded in conferring personal status n the individual makes use of________.
    The key is 'c'. I guess it refers to the part 'no less than 20%of whose mail consists of announcements of giant carpet sales'. Am I right?
    You are correct! :wink:

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much for your explanation!

Best wishes,

Jiang

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Dear teachers,

The clue is in "Tests have shown that cool analytical people with a very rational apprach to their feelings tend to recall fewer dreams than those whose attitude to life is open and flexible. "

The only one that fits the criteria is "d".

The clue is the words "successful man".

You are correct! :wink:

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much for your explanation!

Best wishes,

Jiang
    You're welcome. :)