Post Thanks / Like

Question Thesis statement, this is not easy

Hi,
    I’ve been looking around the net and even in my Bedford and Hodges handbooks for help on writing a good thesis statement. I can't tell if this is working or not?

Note: I had to do a literary interpretation of the Robert Frost poem “The Road Not Taken”.

I think my statement is too long. What makes it even more difficult is the fact that this poem means so many different things to different scholars. You can't write a thesis unless you fully understand what your topic is, and being that poems are a mixed bag among scholars how do I do this?

Thesis #1
    In “The Road Not Taken", Robert Frost seems to convey the idea that although there are many decisions or roads we must choose to travel throughout our life; it may be wiser to choose one then to stand still.

or

Thesis #2
    A man is a traveler who must choose from many roads throughout his life; it may be wiser to choose one then to stand still.
    Last edited by Starstreams; 15-Apr-2007 at 00:33.

MrPedantic is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thesis statement, this is not easy

Hello Starstreams,

Are you sure that Frost's poem contrasts choosing a road with "standing still"?

MrP

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Thesis statement, this is not easy

I’m not sure, there are hundreds of scholars with PhD/s who think it means something totally different. I didn’t want to get into the meaning of the poet with this post as I knew it could get out of hand but at the same time I would like to share my views. I’d really like to post my essay now, but I’m thinking I should wait till after Monday 16th after I turn it in. God-for-bid if my teacher was to think I was getting help on it from over 3000 viewers..lol

In any case, here is my latest Thesis

Man-kind is a traveler who must choose from many roads throughout his life; it may be wiser to choose one then to stand still.

Note, I'll post the essay if you want. We can have a philosophical talk about the poem, but let’s have it after Mondays if we can?