• China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default road etc.

Dear teachers,

I have four questions to ask:

No.1
    We don't have to ask our broken ( should it be broken-down) car if it wants to be reparied and sent back on the ___________ again.
    a. highway b. path c. road d. street
    The key is 'c'. But I can't find the expression in my dictionaries. Is it an idiomatic usage?

No.2
    The disturbing fact is that the vast majority of people, including educated and ________ sophisticated people find the idea of change so threatening that they attempt to deny its existence.
    a. otherwise b. potentially c. would-be
    The key is 'a'. If it is I find it difficult to understand the italisized part. Could you please kindly explain it to me? And why can't I choose 'b' and 'c'?

No.3
    It pumps two thousand gallons of blood _________ day and fifty-five million gallons in a lifetime.
    a. a b. every c. per
    The key is 'a'. But I think all are correct. Is that right?

No.4
    All we ever see of one another---skin and hair --- is dead.
    Could you please kindly explain the meaning of the sentence?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

Jiang

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: road etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Dear teachers,

No.1
    We don't have to ask our broken ( should it be broken-down) car if it wants to be reparied and sent back on the ___________ again.
    The key is 'c'. But I can't find the expression in my dictionaries. Is it an idiomatic usage?
    I suppose it is an idiom, but it's such a common one that my initial reaction was that it wasn't. There certainly is an idiomatic 'on the road' (in the sense of 'travelling' - e.g. "I spent years hitch-hiking and sleeping under the stars, but I've spent the last 3 months living in a house. It's time I was back on the road.'), but that obviously doesn't apply here.

And you can use the other possibilities, in other contexts: 'Do you keep your car in a garage?'/'No - on the street outside my house.' But in this case 'on the road' means 'in service - perhaps on a road, perhaps on a motorway, even 'off-road' - possibly.
    No.2
    The disturbing fact is that the vast majority of people, including educated and ________ sophisticated people find the idea of change so threatening that they attempt to deny its existence.
    The key is 'a'. If it is I find it difficult to understand the italicized part. Could you please kindly explain it to me? And why can't I choose 'b' and 'c'?
    They are sophisticated (Cambridge Dictionaries Online - Cambridge University Press) in every other way, but they 'deny its existence' - which you wouldn't expect a sophisticated person to do.

As to b and c: 'potentially' would mean, 'they could have been sophisticated, but this failure prevents it'. It is just possible, but a is better. c also is just possible; it would mean 'they are trying to pretend that they're sophisticated - they hope that people will think it - but this failure makes the disguise imperfect'. Again, a is better.

No.3
    It pumps two thousand gallons of blood _________ day and fifty-five million gallons in a lifetime.
    a. a b. every c. per
    It depends on context. If it's in a Reader's Digest article about how extraordinary the heart is, 'every' would be best. In a medical essay, a student doctor might use 'per'. But a would be more appropriate in a larger number of contexts.

No.4

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    I'm not sure of the biology here. But the hair is dead (at least cutting it doesn't hurt - and pulling someone's hair only hurts because it's attached to the body [if it was inanimate string it would hurt just as much if it was attached in the same way]); and the outermost layer of skin is dead - house-dust is made up of dead skin cells that have fallen off. (But I'm not totally convinced by the argument. What we see as a distinctive person - rather than a colourless ghost - is living.)

b

jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear BobK,
    Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I understand No.1, No.3 and No.4.
    No.2: I think I get confused by the meaning of 'otherwise'. The following is from my dictionary:
    The police believe he is the thief, but all the evidence suggests otherwise ( different).
    The poor sound quality ruined an otherwise splendid film ( except for).
    Then what does 'otherwise sophisticated people' mean? Does it mean 'They can be sophisticated peole but they haven't beome'? If it is then 'potential' and 'would-be' are, to a greater degree, to be sophisticated?

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    I suppose it is an idiom, but it's such a common one that my initial reaction was that it wasn't. There certainly is an idiomatic 'on the road' (in the sense of 'travelling' - e.g. "I spent years hitch-hiking and sleeping under the stars, but I've spent the last 3 months living in a house. It's time I was back on the road.'), but that obviously doesn't apply here.

And you can use the other possibilities, in other contexts: 'Do you keep your car in a garage?'/'No - on the street outside my house.' But in this case 'on the road' means 'in service - perhaps on a road, perhaps on a motorway, even 'off-road' - possibly.

They are sophisticated (Cambridge Dictionaries Online - Cambridge University Press) in every other way, but they 'deny its existence' - which you wouldn't expect a sophisticated person to do.

As to b and c: 'potentially' would mean, 'they could have been sophisticated, but this failure prevents it'. It is just possible, but a is better. c also is just possible; it would mean 'they are trying to pretend that they're sophisticated - they hope that people will think it - but this failure makes the disguise imperfect'. Again, a is better.

It depends on context. If it's in a Reader's Digest article about how extraordinary the heart is, 'every' would be best. In a medical essay, a student doctor might use 'per'. But a would be more appropriate in a larger number of contexts.

I'm not sure of the biology here. But the hair is dead (at least cutting it doesn't hurt - and pulling someone's hair only hurts because it's attached to the body [if it was inanimate string it would hurt just as much if it was attached in the same way]); and the outermost layer of skin is dead - house-dust is made up of dead skin cells that have fallen off. (But I'm not totally convinced by the argument. What we see as a distinctive person - rather than a colourless ghost - is living.)

b

Post Thanks / Like

No.2

a. otherwise <in other respects or ways>
    b. potentially
    c. would-be

The poor sound quality ruined an otherwise perfect movie. <other than as supposed or expected

Source: otherwise: Definition and Much More from Answers.com

All the best.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear Cas,
    Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see.

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea View Post
    No.2

a. otherwise <in other respects or ways>
    b. potentially
    c. would-be

The poor sound quality ruined an otherwise perfect movie. <other than as supposed or expected

Source: otherwise: Definition and Much More from Answers.com

All the best.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear BobK,
    Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I understand No.1, No.3 and No.4.
    No.2: I think I get confused by the meaning of 'otherwise'. The following is from my dictionary:
    The police believe he is the thief, but all the evidence suggests otherwise ( different).
    The poor sound quality ruined an otherwise splendid film ( except for).
    Then what does 'otherwise sophisticated people' mean? Does it mean 'They can be sophisticated peole but they haven't beome'? If it is then 'potential' and 'would-be' are, to a greater degree, to be sophisticated?

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    I'm glad that I/you got 3 out of 4; and Casi seems to have explained the other one for you.

b

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes. Thank you all teachers for your sincere help and patience.

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    I'm glad that I/you got 3 out of 4; and Casi seems to have explained the other one for you.

b

Post Thanks / Like

Dear teachers,

No.1

No.2
    The key is 'a'. If it is I find it difficult to understand the italisized part. Could you please kindly explain it to me? And why can't I choose 'b' and 'c'?

No.3
    a. a b. every c. per

No.4

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    Hi Jiang,
    I just wanted to add that "on the road" is not idiomatic here but it is a collocation, which is what makes it "correct". I also think the "a" is preferred in #3 because it is paralleled with "a lifetime". It is more about style than meaning because yes, they have essentially the same meaning.
    Sorry to flog a dead horse!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear fiona bramble,
    Thank you very much for your explanation. You didn't flog a dead horse.
    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by fiona bramble View Post
    Hi Jiang,
    I just wanted to add that "on the road" is not idiomatic here but it is a collocation, which is what makes it "correct". I also think the "a" is preferred in #3 because it is paralleled with "a lifetime". It is more about style than meaning because yes, they have essentially the same meaning.
    Sorry to flog a dead horse!
    Last edited by jiang; 16-Apr-2007 at 08:02.

Post Thanks / Like

Dear fiona bramble,
    Thank you very much for your explanation. You didn't flog a dead horse.
    Jiang
    My pleasure