Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: punctuation


    • Join Date: Feb 2004
    • Posts: 131
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    punctuation

    John's relatively indirect statement is a step forward compared to his stronger language in the past.

    does it need a "comma" between "forward" and "compared" ?

    is it correct if i rewrite the sentence to "John's relatively indirect statement,which is compared to his stronger language in the past,is a step forward.

    thanks

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,114
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: punctuation

    Quote Originally Posted by mengta
    John's relatively indirect statement is a step forward compared to his stronger language in the past.

    does it need a "comma" between "forward" and "compared" ?

    is it correct if i rewrite the sentence to "John's relatively indirect statement,which is compared to his stronger language in the past,is a step forward.

    thanks
    I would place a comma between "forward" and "compared".

    Your revision is not correct. It would work, if you replace "which is" with "when".

    :wink:


    • Join Date: Feb 2004
    • Posts: 131
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: punctuation

    so the sentence means.....

    John's relatively indirect statement is a step forward,when the statement is compared to his stronger language in the past.

    i want to make sure it's "john" or " the statement" is compared to....

    thanks


    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by mengta
    John's relatively indirect statement is a step forward compared to his stronger language in the past.

    does it need a "comma" between "forward" and "compared" ?

    is it correct if i rewrite the sentence to "John's relatively indirect statement,which is compared to his stronger language in the past,is a step forward.

    thanks
    I would place a comma between "forward" and "compared".

    Your revision is not correct. It would work, if you replace "which is" with "when".

    :wink:

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,222
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4
    I'd say it's a bit of both; it's his language use, and the statement is the text that the comparison possible.

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,114
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: punctuation

    Quote Originally Posted by mengta
    so the sentence means.....

    John's relatively indirect statement is a step forward,when the statement is compared to his stronger language in the past.

    i want to make sure it's "john" or " the statement" is compared to....

    thanks
    Yes, your sense is correct. John's (current) statement is being compared to his past use of language. :wink:

Similar Threads

  1. Punctuation help
    By raelynn in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-Nov-2006, 01:14
  2. Killer Punctuation
    By Tdol in forum UsingEnglish.com Content
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17-Mar-2004, 23:04
  3. punctuation
    By Francis in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-Mar-2004, 05:53
  4. Punctuation
    By Tdol in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 31-Aug-2003, 11:54
  5. Punctuation
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-Mar-2003, 21:13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •