Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Redundant phrases

Hi gang,

I need some help. There is a name (one word) for using redundant phrases when instructing, describing or identifying something; and it's not "Redundant phrases" as a co-worker jokingly responded.

Examples:

1. "Tuna Fish" is redundant because "Tuna" can only be a fish therefore, "fish" is not necessary to mention.
    2. "Big Giant" The word "Giant" signifies something huge, big or large; therefore the word "Big" is not necessary to mention.
    3. "Raise up" or "Lower down" the anchor. Raise can only go in one direction,"Up" as lower can go in only one direction, "down".
    This are just a few examples. At one time I had compiled quite a list in my head which I plan to do again only this time I will recorded them and use it as a game during a social gathering.

Even if you don't know the name of the word to describe my problem, I would appreciate it if you can give me some more examples of....redundant phrases for lack of the proper term.

Thanx in advance group.

~word~

Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Redundant phrases

Thank you TDOL, this is such a great community.

I sent this same post to another forum on this site because I wasn't quite sure which one my question fell under.

I received a reply from "Philly" who also gave me an example.

Here's the link and Thanx again my friend.

~word~

http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/as...ill-clear.html

Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Hi gang,

I need some help. There is a name (one word) for using redundant phrases when instructing, describing or identifying something; and it's not "Redundant phrases" as a co-worker jokingly responded.

Examples:

1. "Tuna Fish" is redundant because "Tuna" can only be a fish therefore, "fish" is not necessary to mention.
    2. "Big Giant" The word "Giant" signifies something huge, big or large; therefore the word "Big" is not necessary to mention.
    3. "Raise up" or "Lower down" the anchor. Raise can only go in one direction,"Up" as lower can go in only one direction, "down".
    This are just a few examples. At one time I had compiled quite a list in my head which I plan to do again only this time I will recorded them and use it as a game during a social gathering.

Even if you don't know the name of the word to describe my problem, I would appreciate it if you can give me some more examples of....redundant phrases for lack of the proper term.

Thanx in advance group.

~word~
    How about new innovation ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sydneysider View Post
    How about new innovation ?
    Absolutely and thank you.

Last evening "Sport athlete" was mentioned, does this qualifies as tautology?

I think it does. What else would you think of when you hear "Athlete"?

If someon is in excellent physical condition, would you call them an athlete? If so, then it does not qualify.

Post Thanks / Like

Mnn...An athlete is someone who possesses the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, and endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise.
    A "sport athlete" is repetitive and is definitely a case of stating the obvious. In my opinion this phrase belongs to the same category of tautology.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sydneysider View Post
    Mnn...An athlete is someone who possesses the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, and endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise.
    A "sport athlete" is repetitive and is definitely a case of stating the obvious. In my opinion this phrase belongs to the same category of tautology.
    Excellent response!

Thank you SydneySider

Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome.

bianca is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Hi gang,

Examples:

Thanx in advance group.

~word~
    Hi

They are also called "pleonasms". I am mostly used to using this term.

Pleonasm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast