• Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default where is the subjective clause?

Dear teachers,

The following sentences are taken from a reading passage:

The ideal product is one which goes on unchanged for ever. If, therefore, for one reason or another, some alteration seems called for---how much better to change the image, the packet or the pitch made by product, rather than go to all the inconvenience of changing the product itself.

I felt puzzled at the second sentence:

No.1. 'if.....' is a conditional clause. But where is the subjective clause?
    No.2. What's the function of the participle phrase 'made by product'? If I write a clause it should be '...pitch that are made by product'. But it doesn't make sense. How can a product make the packet or pitch itself?
    No.3. Last December I posted a question on 'rather than' and I received several answers. Could you please tell me if 'rather than' is a prepostion in this sentence? There is the verb 'seems' and 'go' after 'rather than'. So 'rather than' isn't conjunction. Am I right?

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Have a nice weekend!

Jiang

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: where is the subjective clause?

Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    Dear teachers,

The ideal product is one which goes on unchanged for ever. If, therefore, for one reason or another, some alteration seems called for---how much better to change the image, the packet or the pitch made by product, rather than go to all the inconvenience of changing the product itself.

No.2. What's the function of the participle phrase 'made by product'? If I write a clause it should be '...pitch that are made by product'. But it doesn't make sense. How can a product make the packet or pitch itself?
    No.3. Last December I posted a question on 'rather than' and I received several answers. Could you please tell me if 'rather than' is a prepostion in this sentence? There is the verb 'seems' and 'go' after 'rather than'. So 'rather than' isn't conjunction. Am I right?

Thank you in advance.

Have a nice weekend!

Jiang
    It is an odd sentence. As written, the sentence is not grammatically correct, because it lacks a main verb. One should mentally change "how much better" to "it is easier". Then the sentence is a zero conditional, using present tense in both clauses.

"Made by product" is a typographical error of some sort. It makes not sense. The product doesn't make a pitch. I would change that sentence to "change the image or the package, rather than change the product itself."

"Rather than" is still a conjunction. It is connecting two verbals "to change" with "to go", but I would prefer only "than" here. If there is a comparative, such as "better" or "easier", one does not need "rather".

jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

:D
    Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see.

Have a nice weekend.

Jiang

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Dear teachers,

Thank you in advance.

Have a nice weekend!

Jiang
    It is an odd sentence. As written, the sentence is not grammatically correct, because it lacks a main verb. One should mentally change "how much better" to "it is easier". Then the sentence is a zero conditional, using present tense in both clauses.

"Made by product" is a typographical error of some sort. It makes not sense. The product doesn't make a pitch. I would change that sentence to "change the image or the package, rather than change the product itself."

"Rather than" is still a conjunction. It is connecting two verbals "to change" with "to go", but I would prefer only "than" here. If there is a comparative, such as "better" or "easier", one does not need "rather".

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

:D
    Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see.

Have a nice weekend.

Jiang
    You're welcome. :wink: