Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Two questions

  1. o_cat
    Guest
    #1

    Two questions

    But even if the crime is detected, the criminal may walk away not only unpunished but with a glowing recommendation from his former employers.

    What does here "walk away" mean? Does it mean "easily"?
    What does here "a glowing recommendation" mean ? Does it mean "more work chances"?

    Thank you! :?

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 19,050
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Two questions

    Quote Originally Posted by o_cat
    But even if the crime is detected, the criminal may walk away not only unpunished but with a glowing recommendation from his former employers.

    What does here "walk away" mean? Does it mean "easily"?
    What does here "a glowing recommendation" mean ? Does it mean "more work chances"?

    Thank you! :?
    In this case, "walk away" means leaving that employment position without having to go to jail.

    A "glowing recommendation" is a very positive statement about his work performance.

  3. o_cat
    Guest
    #3
    Thank you!
    But what is the employer's statement? Does "a glowing recommendation" mean the employer would give him a better position?

  4. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 19,050
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by o_cat
    Thank you!
    But what is the employer's statement? Does "a glowing recommendation" mean the employer would give him a better position?
    No, a "recommendation" is written for a new job or new employer. It is an encouragement for someone else to hire this guy. :wink:

  5. o_cat
    Guest
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by o_cat
    Thank you!
    But what is the employer's statement? Does "a glowing recommendation" mean the employer would give him a better position?
    No, a "recommendation" is written for a new job or new employer. It is an encouragement for someone else to hire this guy. :wink:
    Ok, I get it.
    Thank you!
    :wink: :D

  6. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 19,050
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by o_cat
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by o_cat
    Thank you!
    But what is the employer's statement? Does "a glowing recommendation" mean the employer would give him a better position?
    No, a "recommendation" is written for a new job or new employer. It is an encouragement for someone else to hire this guy. :wink:
    Ok, I get it.
    Thank you!
    :wink: :D
    You're very welcome.

    It sounds as if this piece is referring to an employee who was caught doing something illegal at his job (possibly embezzling). He was caught, but the organization didn't want anyone to find out about the crime because they didn't want a public scandal. Therefore, a deal was made to not report the crime, if the man resigned for "personal reasons". In exchange, the boss wrote the man a great recommendation so that some unsuspecting new employer would hire him.

  7. o_cat
    Guest
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by o_cat
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by o_cat
    Thank you!
    But what is the employer's statement? Does "a glowing recommendation" mean the employer would give him a better position?
    No, a "recommendation" is written for a new job or new employer. It is an encouragement for someone else to hire this guy. :wink:
    Ok, I get it.
    Thank you!
    :wink: :D
    You're very welcome.

    It sounds as if this piece is referring to an employee who was caught doing something illegal at his job (possibly embezzling). He was caught, but the organization didn't want anyone to find out about the crime because they didn't want a public scandal. Therefore, a deal was made to not report the crime, if the man resigned for "personal reasons". In exchange, the boss wrote the man a great recommendation so that some unsuspecting new employer would hire him.
    Yup, the article was just about that, about the computer crime few years ago. :wink:

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 45,808
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8
    BTW, people can be sued nowadays for giving glowing references when they know otherwise, so it's less likely to happen. As a reference is a document on which people can base decisions that have a great impact of a firm, the referee should think twice before doing this.

  8. o_cat
    Guest
    #9
    And there is one more question:

    But it's disturbing to note how many of crimes we do know about were detected by accident...

    How to change it's disturbing to note into another phrases but with the same meaning?

  9. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 19,050
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    BTW, people can be sued nowadays for giving glowing references when they know otherwise, so it's less likely to happen. As a reference is a document on which people can base decisions that have a great impact of a firm, the referee should think twice before doing this.
    Over here it is far more common to be sued for writing an negative reference, even if it was warranted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. A newbie with usage questions
    By Francois in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 30-Jan-2007, 10:41
  2. questions - have to/must, article, mistakes
    By Lenka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 25-Sep-2004, 07:32
  3. questions from "Friends" script
    By welldone in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 03-Jul-2004, 19:32
  4. Answering questions
    By dduck in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-Sep-2003, 23:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •