Thread: file vs queue

Post Thanks / Like

file vs queue

Hi all! Im wondering whether you can help. I've got this exercise where you need to choose the correct option to complete the following sentence:
    Would you spend all night in a rank/ queue/ file if there were a chance you could buy a real sale bargain?
    Apparently, the correct option is only "queue", but file also means that, so what's the reason it's considered incorrect? Does it sound too American? (We're studying British English) Thanks

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: file vs queue

Quote Originally Posted by micaelo View Post
    Hi all! Im wondering whether you can help. I've got this exercise where you need to choose the correct option to complete the following sentence:
    Would you spend all night in a rank/ queue/ file if there were a chance you could buy a real sale bargain?
    Apparently, the correct option is only "queue", but file also means that, so what's the reason it's considered incorrect? Does it sound too American? (We're studying British English) Thanks
    I think in the US you "stand in line" rather than queue. I've never seen "file" or "rank" as a specific synonym.