• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is there a saying of food treatment approach in the western Countries?

Hello Everyone,

In Chinese , people often talk about food treatment approach. Food treatment approach means health can be maintained by in taking nutritions of certain food. I am wondering whether there is a similar saying in the English speaking countries?As a westerners, can you understand what food treatment approach mean without explanation?

Thanks and best regards

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is there a saying of food treatment approach in the western Countries?

Maintaining a healthy diet?

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is there a saying of food treatment approach in the western Countries?

"You are what you eat."

(Of course, any time I mention this saying, my husband counters with, "What were you raised on, rump roast?")

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not quite sure what " food treatment approach" is. Do you mean medicinal plants and herbs ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    "You are what you eat."

(Of course, any time I mention this saying, my husband counters with, "What were you raised on, rump roast?")
    That's not very nice.

sky753 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    "You are what you eat."

Can you give a dialogue containing the sentence "You are what you eat." And what do you mean by saying rump roast?

sky753 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sydneysider View Post
    I'm not quite sure what " food treatment approach" is. Do you mean medicinal plants and herbs ?
    Ok now, I will just give you some expamples to explain what Shi liao fa (food treatment approach).

When catching cold, we usually have ginger soup.(The soup is cooked this way. press one piece of ginger hard with knife or somethin like that so that the ginger juice can come out. Then put some sugar together with the ginger punched and some water into the pot. Cook the mixture for a period of time untitl it reaches one hundred degrees.The soup then can be drunk, which is usally have good effect and cold can always be healed.

Another example is when caughing, some Chinese will not go to see the doctor. Instead, they will have steamed pear. The pear is cooked this way.First elimilate the pear seeds so that the center of the pear is empty. Then insert some bingtang into the certer of the pear.Put the pear into the pot to be steamed for a period of time until the pear becomes soft. Having this pear can have some effect on coughing.(bingtang is a large white piece of solid sugar, which is also made of sugarcrane.I remeber when I was young and coughing ,I was adviced by my parents to have bingtang. Is there bingtang in your country.

They are many such diets in Chinese daily life.

Another thing, I will mention here. There are a variety of herbs or medical plants in Chinese daily life. And some of them have wonderful effects. I will just give you anther example. In my Childhood, a jianghu lanzhong came to my village( Jianghu Lanzhong was a doctor in the past in China, who travelled around ,diagnose patients and prescrible for them. These doctor usually had special and unually way of treating patients, which was passed onto them by their ancestors ) He,surrouned by many curious villigers, held a bottle of yellow liquid in his hand and claimed the herb can cure one's teethache. An old man came up to him and was asked to absorb some air from the bottle held in front of the man's mouth.(The bottle had not evenbeen completely opened!!) Then the doctor gently pulled out the tooth with a short thin stick. The troubled tooth then dropped out of his mouth and he dind't even bleed and was feeling hurt. Just think how a tooth will be pulled out by modern doctor.There are lots of such herbs in daily life and much more has been lost. I am wondering here whether there are such wonderful natural herbs in your country?
    Last edited by sky753; 23-Apr-2007 at 07:21.

Post Thanks / Like

You're referring to herbal remedies/medicine or natural remedies/medicine.
    It's being used a lot now.

Post Thanks / Like

We tend to call it "oriental medicine" in western Europe.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

German doctors have to take courses in herbal medicine as part of their training.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast