Post Thanks / Like

Default could you take a look at my sentences? phrasal verbs

Hello there! I've been testing myself on some phrasal verbs recently, and as a part of the test I create my own sentences with phrasal verbs I get acquainted with. If you could just take a look at my sentences and give me some feedback, or simply correct them and gime me an explanation, I would be most grateful. I would like you to concentrate onf two things - firstly - whether I've used the following phrasals correctly or not - and secondly - whether my sentences are grammatically correct or not. OK, here we go.

1. come forward
    a) During our English classes (or lessons?) no one wants to come forward and answer the teacher's questions.
    b) They've come forward with ambitious plans and ideas. (VS "came forward...")

2. come into
    a) After his grandpa's death, he came into a lot of money.

3. come off
    a) I really hope that our little party at the end at the end of the weel is gonna come off. (could I use will here? would it make any difference in meaning?)
    b) A: What are you doing here? I thought you were (VS "are") in London! B: Nah, it didn't come off. (VS "it haven't come off")

4. come about
    a) I have no idea how come such a thing have come about. (could I simply say "came about" ? does the simple past tense change the meaning somehow?)
    b) A: My cousin had an accident last week. B: How did it come about?

5. turn in
    a) I think I'm gonna turn in as I am very tired. (can I simply say "I think I will turn in..." ?)
    b) Let's turn in. (it sounds a bit unnatural to me, but I'm not sure...)
    c) Let's turn in earlier today.
    d) We will wait till everybody in the house turn in, and then we will break into it.

6. patch (things) up
    a) We fell out over two weeks ago, and since then we haven't patched things up.
    b) A: I had a quarrel with my wife this morning. B: You had better patch this up. (can I say "I've had..." ?)

7. dip into
    a) Honey, I think we will have to dip into our car savings in order to tide us over. (any difference between this one and "I think we're gonna have to..." ?)
    b) He is so mean. He never dips into his bank acount, no matter what happens (VS "is happening" ?)

8. dry up
    a) My presentation started well but I dried up quickly.

9. cough up
    a) Scrooge was such a person that could hardly cough up a penny for a poor man.
    b) Mary could hardly cough up a pound or two after loosing her job.

10. doze off
    a) The child burst into tears, but after a short while it dozed off. (VS "it has dozed off" ?)
    ___
    btw. I beg you - correct me I I've made (vs made) any mistakes... thanks :D

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: could you take a look at my sentences? phrasal verbs

Quote Originally Posted by forum_mail View Post
    Hello there! I've been testing myself on some phrasal verbs recently, and as a part of the test I create my own sentences with phrasal verbs I get acquainted with. If you could just take a look at my sentences and give me some feedback, or simply correct them and give me an explanation, I would be most grateful. I would like you to concentrate onf two things - firstly - whether I've used the following phrasals correctly or not - and secondly - whether my sentences are grammatically correct or not. OK, here we go.

1. come forward
    a) During our English classes (or lessons?either is fine) no one wants to come forward and answer the teacher's questions.
    b) They've come forward with ambitious plans and ideas. (VS "came forward...")

2. come into
    a) After his grandpa's death, he came into a lot of money.

3. come off
    a) I really hope that our little party at the end at the end of the weel is going to come off. (could I use will here? would it make any difference in meaning? you could, and it won't change the meaning)
    b) A: What are you doing here? I thought you were (VS "are") in London! B: Nah, it didn't come off. (VS "it hasn't come off")

4. come about
    a) I have no idea how come such a thing had/has come about. (could I simply say "came about" ? Yes does the simple past tense change the meaning somehow?No)
    b) A: My cousin had an accident last week. B: How did it come about?

5. turn in
    a) I think I'm going to turn in as I am very tired. (can I simply say "I think I will turn in..." ?Yes)
    b) Let's turn in. (it sounds a bit unnatural to me, but I'm not sure...) It's fine in spoken English.
    c) Let's turn in earlier today.
    d) We will wait till everybody in the house turns in, and then we will break into it. No - doesn't work well in this context as "turn in" is the action of retiring to bed, and in this sentence you need the people asleep.

6. patch (things) up
    a) We fell out over two weeks ago, and since then we haven't patched things up.
    b) A: I had a quarrel with my wife this morning. B: You had better patch things/it up. (can I say "I've had..." ?Yes)

7. dip into
    a) Honey, I think we will have to dip into our car savings in order to tide us over. (any difference between this one and "I think we're going to ..." ?Could be used, but is awkward)
    b) He is so mean. He never dips into his bank account, no matter what happens (VS "is happening" ?)

8. dry up
    a) My presentation started well but I dried up quickly.

9. cough up
    a) Scrooge was such a [the sort of] person that could hardly cough up a penny for a poor man.
    b) Mary could hardly cough up a pound or two after losing her job. but not a good exxample

10. doze off
    a) The child burst into tears, but after a short while it dozed off. (VS "it has dozed off" ?)
    ___
    btw. I beg you - correct me if I've made (vs made) any mistakes... thanks :D