Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: to/in order to?


    • Join Date: Sep 2006
    • Posts: 433
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    to/in order to?

    Which one is better?

    A. The poet repeats the third line to imprint it on the reader's memory.

    B. The poet repeats the third line in order to imprint it on the reader's memory.


    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 66
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: to/in order to?

    I prefer 'in order to'. It refers to an aim.

  1. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 15,854
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: to/in order to?

    Quote Originally Posted by asad hussain View Post
    Which one is better?

    A. The poet repeats the third line to imprint it on the reader's memory.

    B. The poet repeats the third line in order to imprint it on the reader's memory.
    They're both OK. Also:

    C. The poet repeats the third line so as to imprint it on the reader's memory.

    D. The poet repeats the third line the better to imprint it on the reader's memory.

    D's a bit mannered.

    b


    • Join Date: Sep 2006
    • Posts: 433
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: to/in order to?

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    They're both OK. Also:

    C. The poet repeats the third line so as to imprint it on the reader's memory.

    D. The poet repeats the third line the better to imprint it on the reader's memory.

    D's a bit mannered.

    b
    Hi Bob, Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

    But what am I supposed to use in my study notes? (Including your structures)

  2. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 15,854
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: to/in order to?

    Quote Originally Posted by asad hussain View Post
    Hi Bob, Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

    But what am I supposed to use in my study notes? (Including your structures)
    I'd say 'in order to' or 'so as to' are usually clearer than plain 'to'.

    b

Similar Threads

  1. In order to/in order for
    By Pamela14 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-Jan-2007, 12:14
  2. in reverse order OR in the reverse order ???
    By peppy_man in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31-Jan-2006, 02:30
  3. in order
    By navi tasan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-Apr-2005, 17:45
  4. Questions about Inversions - Inverted Word Order
    By Anonymous in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 31-May-2003, 23:43
  5. in order to
    By navi tasan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-Apr-2003, 12:52

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •