JuanCarlos is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Edgar Allan Poe and Howard Philips Lovecraft

Hello!

My name is Juan Carlos, I’m 34 years old and I am writing you from Barcelona (Spain). I studied mathematics, and currently I’m working in a big School of Barcelona (Sagrat Cor de Sarrià) as a math teacher with boys and girls 16 and 17 years old. I like very, very much the tales and poems of Edgar Allan Poe and Howard Philips Lovecraft, and I would like to meet a group of serious people also as interested as me in their works in order to comment on them, perhaps a little intellectually, by e-mail. In Barcelona there is no group of these characteristics; at least I have not found it (Of course, there are groups which speak about the works of Poe and Lovecraft but, in my opinion, they comment on them a little superficially; and moreover, I would like to comment on them in English!). Do you think that you could help me in order to find something like this? Maybe you know some group of research which are studying or reading the works of Poe or Lovecraft at some University … Or perhaps you know some Museum where are groups who organize activities around their works… Or, of course, perhaps you want to send me your writings about them. Any information, or writing, which you can provide me it will be received by me very, very gratefully!

I don’t want to bother you more. Thank you very much in advance for the interest that you can take in my request, and forgive me for the time that you have wasted reading my e-mail.

Best wishes from Barcelona!

Juan Carlos González.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Edgar Allan Poe and Howard Philips Lovecraft

bianca is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Why not analyzing poems here in this thread? You may receive feedback on your comments here (ideas, suggestions, opinions), from lots of people instead of a select few...

JuanCarlos is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh thank you very, very much, Bianca, for your interest in my post and for your response. Of course we can comment the tales and poems of Poe and Lovecraft in this site. When I said that I am looking for a group in order to comment the tales and Poems of Poe and Lovecraft I was referering to a matter of interest more than cappabilities because I think honestly that when people say they like to comment books or films, the most of the times it is not true at all. The most of the times, I think, what people like is only to say that this book or that film has liked them very much, without giving any reason in order to justify the opinion which they have said; and that's all. But, Bianca, what I want is not only to know if a book or film has liked you, but I would like also to know why it has liked you and what is your theory about the book or film -if there are a theory that could be done about it, of course. So... Just do it, as the Nike advertising says? Do you want to comment books in this site? I would like it. So... since one of us have to begin, so I think that I'm going to begin. I propose a subject: which are (or is) the differences between Poe and Lovecraft tales?

Best wishes, to you and to all the readers, from Barcelona!

Juan Carlos