Anonymous Guest

Default I know its right, but can' explain it!

Hi and good evening from Germany.
    I am English living in Germany and give extra tuition to German kiddies in English.One of the lads asked me a question yesterday which I was unable to answer, even though I know that what he had read was correct!
    He was reading an article on American cars in past perfect form (passive).
    He noted that a lot of the text referred to "had been built", had been invented etc. He asked why, in another part of the text does it say "had become" and not "had been become" as in the rest of the text! I knew straight away that you just don't say that, but do you think I could think of an easy explanation for him! Please can someone help me to help him! I would be so grateful.

Susie Smith Guest

Default Re: I know its right, but can' explain it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    I am English living in Germany and give extra tuition to German kiddies in English.One of the lads asked me a question yesterday which I was unable to answer, even though I know that what he had read was correct!
    He noted that a lot of the text referred to "had been built", had been invented etc. He asked why, in another part of the text does it say "had become" and not "had been become" as in the rest of the text! I knew straight away that you just don't say that, but do you think I could think of an easy explanation for him! Please can someone help me to help him! I would be so grateful.
    Hi, Lee! The explanation is simple. Only transitive verbs (verbs that can be followed by an object) are used in the passive. It is not possible to use intransitive verbs (such as happen, sleep, come, seem, become) in the passive. :)

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I know its right, but can' explain it!

Quote Originally Posted by Susie Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    Hi, Lee! The explanation is simple. Only transitive verbs (verbs that can be followed by an object) are used in the passive. It is not possible to use intransitive verbs (such as happen, sleep, come, seem, become) in the passive. :)
    Very good, Susie. :wink: