Post Thanks / Like

Default Can I say these?

Dear Teachers, if you want to say the following things, how would you say? (Maybe you tell me that you don't say them at all :D )
    Thanks a million.

1) The contrast between huge amount of students and relative lacking in teachers leads to low educational quality.

2) Everything comes with advantages and disadvantages. We should always make full use of the former ones and limit bad effects of the latter ones.

3) I may not agree on what you said, but I defend your right of free speech until death.

4) The administration should do more to deal with the bad learning atmosphere. We need their practical move, but not bureaucratic rhetoric.

5) I thought you did not have secret with your wife(your wife knows everything about you).

6) The story may provide an excuse or pretext for some people not to improve on themselves(make themselves better). They argue, "Even Roosevelt and Churchill had so many flaws, that I don't have to work on mine. I just move on as usual and probably I will become a great man like them."

7) The whole logic and attitude is wrong. "Flaws mean nothing about your future" applies to you only if you care about your flaws and work on them to march forward. And if you don't, I think the rule applied to you should be "flaws mean everything about your future".

8 ) If you asked my relative merits, I would say, "I am a hard-working man." I strongly believe that hard work yields substantial results.

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can I say these?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Dear Teachers, if you want to say the following things, how would you say? (Maybe you tell me that you don't say them at all :D )
    Thanks a million.

1) The contrast between huge amount of students and relative lacking in teachers leads to low educational quality.
    The contrast between a huge number of students and a small number of teachers leads to low educational quality. [I would not compare/contrast a number with a lack.]

restated: A very high student to teacher ratio leads to low educational quality. [This includes the concept of contrast and relative lack].

2) Everything comes with advantages and disadvantages. We should always make full use of the former ones and limit the bad effects of the latter ones.
    That is pretty good as written. I would tend to leave off the "ones" at the end.

Every opportunity comes with advantages and disadvantages. We should always make full use of the former, while limiting the bad effects of the latter.

3) I may not agree on what you said, but I defend your right of free speech until death.
    This is a paraphrase of a real quote. There are variations of this quote, often attributed to Voltaire:

http://www.hypernote.com/C745182673/E253798223/

One has to bit a little careful with quotes. If you stray too far from the original, you may invited corrections. That having been said, in your words:

I may not agree with what you said, but I will defend your right of free speech to the death.

4) The administration should do more to deal with the bad learning atmosphere. We need their practical move, but not bureaucratic rhetoric.
    The administration should do more to deal with the bad learning atmosphere. We need practical solutions, not bureaucratic rhetoric.

5) I thought you did not have secret with your wife(your wife knows everything about you).
    I thought you did not keep secrets from your wife.

6) The story may provide an excuse or pretext for some people not to improve on themselves(make themselves better). They argue, "Even Roosevelt and Churchill had so many flaws, that I don't have to work on mine. I just move on as usual and probably I will become a great man like them."
    The story may provide an excuse or pretext for some people not to improve (no "on") themselves. They might argue, "Even Roosevelt and Churchill had so many flaws that I don't have to work on mine. I just move on as usual and I will probably become a great man like them."

7) The whole logic and attitude is wrong. "Flaws mean nothing about your future" applies to you only if you care about your flaws and work on them to march forward. And if you don't, I think the rule applied to you should be "flaws mean everything about your future".
    The whole logic and attitude is wrong. "Flaws are not important to your future" applies to you only if you care about your flaws and work on eliminating them. If you don't, I think the rule applied to you should be "flaws will control your future".

8 ) If you asked my relative merits, I would say, "I am a hard-working man." I strongly believe that hard work yields substantial results.
    Good.

:wink: