XYZ is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Evaluating proposal 2 (fce)

Well, I took a look at my priveuos report and diceded to rewrite it, could you please correct it? Thank you very much.

Your school has recently been given a large sum of money to spend on either a new library or a cafeteria. You have been asked to write a report for your school director, describing the advantages of each plan. Say which one you think should be chosen, and why.

To: Mr. White
    Date: 16 June 2007
    Subject: New facility: New Library or Cafeteria?

Introduction
    The purpose of this report is to recommend which new facility would be most beneficial to the school.

Benefits of a library
    This would offer the following advantages:
    • A wider range of learning resources would be available for students, and as a result, it would enable all the students to have equal opportunities in a learning process.
    • It could be used to hold different events, such as meetings with writers and journalists or discussions about interesting topics.
    • Computers and free access to the Internet could provide the students with wider access to information throughout the world.
    Benefits of a cafeteria
    This would provide the following benefits:
    • A wider selection of food and beverages than at the present could be served.
    • It would enable all the students to be accommodated in and avoid overcrowding at lunchtime.
    • It would also provide more job opportunities for some students, as they could be employed as temporary staff.
    Conclusion/Recommendation
    Although the cafeteria could offer some benefits, as a student of this school, I am concerned with the development of the studentsí knowledge. The open, accessible resources and new libraryís facilities could definitely appeal and motive the students to learn.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Evaluating proposal 2 (fce)

a learning process- the
    information throughout the world- from all over
    at the present- at present
    and motive- and motivate

PS A wider range of learning resources would be available for students, and as a result, it would enable all the students to have equal opportunities in a learning process.- I am not sure of the logic here.

PPS Are you doing the exam this summer?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    a learning process- the
    information throughout the world- from all over
    at the present- at present
    and motive- and motivate

PS A wider range of learning resources would be available for students, and as a result, it would enable all the students to have equal opportunities in a learning process.- I am not sure of the logic here.

PPS Are you doing the exam this summer?

Yes, I am. Take a look at the beginning of my report, do you see this date? Oh Ö no! The FCE is coming!!! Anyway, you have checked and corrected almost all my letters or reports, thank you very much for help and advice! By the way, of course, if you know something about this exam, do I have any chances to get A for writing? Maybe I need to improve something (vocabulary, grammar and so on)? Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I have taught many FCE courses and, assuming that you have prepared as thoroughly in the other areas, you should be able to get an A grade. You have put in a lot of work in the writing part and you are of the standard. How are you doing on the other papers?

Post Thanks / Like

I have taught many FCE courses and, assuming that you have prepared as thoroughly in the other areas, you should be able to get an A grade. You have put in a lot of work in the writing part and you are of the standard. How are you doing on the other papers?
    Well, thereíre some problems Iím trying to solve.
    Reading: the main problem is time, yes; I know I donít need to read everything very carefully. I just need to skim texts and find the key words or phrases but when I skim the texts as fast as possible I always lose or misunderstand something.
    Writing: Again time. It isnít enough.
    Use of English
    Too many fixed expressions or phrases words. Iíve learned plenty of them but every time when I do a test no doubt thereís a new phrasal verb or collocation.
    Listening
    Not so bad
    Speaking
    Not so bad about general topic but Iím not sure about my ability to talk about "silly" things.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

The time factor is often not such a problem in the exam room- it's hard to be as geared up in your classroom or bedroom, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. However, questions 2 & 3 require more solid concentration on the text, while 1 & 4 are searching for discrete items, so if you're worried, it m ight be a good idea to do 2 & 3 first, then the others. With the Use of English, they tend to repeat the same tricks and traps, but they are very good at re-inventing them and making them look different.

Post Thanks / Like

The time factor is often not such a problem in the exam room- it's hard to be as geared up in your classroom or bedroom, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. However, questions 2 & 3 require more solid concentration on the text, while 1 & 4 are searching for discrete items, so if you're worried, it m ight be a good idea to do 2 & 3 first, then the others. With the Use of English, they tend to repeat the same tricks and traps, but they are very good at re-inventing them and making them look different.
    Ok, thank you. I'll take your advice.