• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default what is its meaning?

A paragraph talking on soaps indicates that they uses " melodramatic and sentimentental treatment".

What I am concerned about is the meaning of treatment, and I hope you could detail its meaning.

P.S.
    I have checked it up in my dictionary, but it seems that either won't fit here.

Susie Smith Guest

Default Re: what is its meaning?

Quote Originally Posted by AUTOMOON
    A paragraph talking on soaps indicates that they uses " melodramatic and sentimentental treatment".

What I am concerned about is the meaning of treatment, and I hope you could detail its meaning.

P.S.
    Hi, Automoon, I presume the text is about soap operas. The treatment of a subject is the way you deal with it or handle it. Hope I've helped a little.

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

P.S.
    "Treatment" there seems to mean a written sketch or script or, at least, the manner in which events are portrayed. Both are valid uses of the word, but the sentence would have to be carefully constructed to be clear.

treat·ment (trēt'mənt)
    n.

The act, manner, or method of handling or dealing with someone or something: “the right to equal treatment in the criminal and juvenile justice system” (Susan C. Ross).
    Informal. The usual methods of dealing with a given situation: gave the opposing team the treatment.

Administration or application of remedies to a patient or for a disease or injury; medicinal or surgical management; therapy.
    The substance or remedy so applied.

A written sketch outlining the plot, characters, and action for a screenplay but not including certain elements of a finished screenplay, such as camera directions and dialogue.An adaptation of a novel or other literary work that serves as the basis for a screenplay.

AUTOMOON is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork

P.S.
    "Treatment" there seems to mean a written sketch or script or, at least, the manner in which events are portrayed. Both are valid uses of the word, but the sentence would have to be carefully constructed to be clear.

treat·ment (trēt'mənt)
    n.

The act, manner, or method of handling or dealing with someone or something: “the right to equal treatment in the criminal and juvenile justice system” (Susan C. Ross).
    Informal. The usual methods of dealing with a given situation: gave the opposing team the treatment.

Administration or application of remedies to a patient or for a disease or injury; medicinal or surgical management; therapy.
    The substance or remedy so applied.

A written sketch outlining the plot, characters, and action for a screenplay but not including certain elements of a finished screenplay, such as camera directions and dialogue.An adaptation of a novel or other literary work that serves as the basis for a screenplay.

I just have one more thing to discuss. The bolded Administration means application?

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd administer a tablet and apply a cream.

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I just have one more thing to discuss. The bolded Administration means application?
    I agree with TDOL, we administer tablets, liquids, capsules and injections. We usually apply salves, creams, sprays, etc. :wink: