Thread: My English

1. pljames

Post My English

English to me (my native language) is my interpretation of making my point or points. I took from what I learned in school and everyday life and embedded it in my writing. My one hugh fault is I strive for perfection. I am desperately trying to gain back the years I failed in school, in all subjects (including English). Now at sixty four I am happy with the strides I have made reading, studying and learning from this forum.

I have to now accept this is me, the way I write and the word perfect is not in my thoughts any more. Thank all of you for your incite, your patiences and especially your dedication for instilling in me "to be me when I write".

You have given me the courage of my dreams to accept I am now part of humanity...thanks to all of you in this forum! With a humble heart "thank you'!
    EMAIL REMOVED - Send PM to This User Instead

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: My English

sometimes it makes me wonder why we have difficulty in speaking and writing our native tongue. I am a Filipino and sad to say I failed once in a PILIPINO subject. I also heard in the news that American students now have difficulty learning correct english. why is this so?

note: please feel free to correct my english on this post. i really wanted to learn...did I convey my thoughts clearly? how about my grammar? thanks guys.

2. pljames

Smile Re: My English

Dear Sir,
    I understood every word clearly. In philosophy whats correct for you might not be correct for me. In your country it might be correct to smile when you meet a stranger, in another country it might be taken as a rude thing. America is such a diverse country with many ways of learning and there ideas about the "proper" way to learn. You made your points beautifully.
    This is just one way to see your writing my way.Paul EMAIL REMOVED - Send PM to This User Instead
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    sometimes it makes me wonder why we have difficulty in speaking and writing our native tongue. I am a Filipino and sad to say I failed once in a PILIPINO subject. I also heard in the news that American students now have difficulty learning correct english. why is this so?

note: please feel free to correct my english on this post. i really wanted to learn...did I convey my thoughts clearly? how about my grammar? This is seeing your post from my point of view. See below. Paul EMAIL REMOVED - Send PM to This User Instead
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All sentence's start with capital letters after the period.

Sometimes it makes me wonder why we have difficulty in speaking and writing our native tongue. I am a Filipino and sad to say I failed once in a FILIPINO subject. I also heard in the news that American students now have difficulty learning correct English. Why is this so?

note: Please feel free to correct my English on this post. I really wanted to learn...did I convey my thoughts clearly? How about my grammar? Thanks guys.[/quote]

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: My English

Ingliscarabao said:

"I also heard in the news that American students now have difficulty learning correct English. Why is this so?"

Hi

It's partly due to the students' dwindling school motivation.
    I had the opportunity to teach English in a public high school in Prince Edward County, Virginia. I know what you're saying, I've been there. American teachers are awesome, hard working and creative, but I have seen, from my own position as an outsider, that many students either worked right after school or did the night shift, or they had family members to take care of ( these were the so-called "sleepers" in the classroom, they were falling asleep during the block, and sometimes got detention because of it - but they didn't mind, they could sleep during detention, too.) Plus, mom had two jobs and dad was probably out of the picture. There could have been other issues at stake, as well. Many students simply lacked the motivation, unless they were in the honoured-student program. Overall, they were all great kids, but their family background was very important to help boost their own self-esteem and school motivation. In these circumstances, coping with all that and doing well in school was not on the cards.

But there is of course a difference between public and private schools, as it is among the public school themselves, depending on the county they're in, the school climate, the neighborhood,...you name it.
    Last edited by bianca; 02-May-2007 at 20:14.