Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: question!

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Mar 2004
    • Posts: 1,074
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    question!

    The sentence:

    What we see in the real world is the product of our own will and choice. In the cinema we have to accept the point of view given to us. The making of a film requires the choice of a viewpoint which controls what is shown on the screen, thus limiting our normal freedom to survey what is in front of us, to select and examine what catches our attention or interest

    (a) Which is the subject of "limiting", "the making of a film" or "a viewpoint"?

    (b) About "to select and examine what catches our attention or interest", is that a restatement of "to survey what is in front of us", or just juxtaposed to "to survey..."?

    Taka

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,182
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: question!

    Quote Originally Posted by Taka
    The sentence:

    What we see in the real world is the product of our own will and choice. In the cinema we have to accept the point of view given to us. The making of a film requires the choice of a viewpoint which controls what is shown on the screen, thus limiting our normal freedom to survey what is in front of us, to select and examine what catches our attention or interest

    (a) Which is the subject of "limiting", "the making of a film" or "a viewpoint"?

    (b) About "to select and examine what catches our attention or interest", is that a restatement of "to survey what is in front of us", or just juxtaposed to "to survey..."?

    Taka
    "Limiting" is not used as a main verb in that sentence. It is a verbal, called a present participle, which is often used as a modifier. In my opinion, the entire phrase including and following "limiting" is an adverbial participial phrase, which modifies the verb "controls".

    I see "to select...interest" as a restatement/redefinition of the first. It also could be seen as an additional infinitive phrase modifying "freedom".

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Mar 2004
    • Posts: 1,074
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: question!

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    "Limiting" is not used as a main verb in that sentence. It is a verbal, called a present participle, which is often used as a modifier. In my opinion, the entire phrase including and following "limiting" is an adverbial participial phrase, which modifies the verb "controls".
    OK. I understand.


    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    I see "to select...interest" as a restatement/redefinition of the first. It also could be seen as an additional infinitive phrase modifying "freedom".
    Even if it's an additional infinitive phrase modifying "freedom", don't you think it's still some sort of additionally restated infinitive phrase of the first one?

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,182
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: question!

    Quote Originally Posted by Taka

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    I see "to select...interest" as a restatement/redefinition of the first. It also could be seen as an additional infinitive phrase modifying "freedom".
    Even if it's an additional infinitive phrase modifying "freedom", don't you think it's still some sort of additionally restated infinitive phrase of the first one?
    Yes, I do. :wink:

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Mar 2004
    • Posts: 1,074
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: question!

    OK. Arigato!

  3. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,182
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: question!

    Quote Originally Posted by Taka
    OK. Arigato!
    Arigato! :wink:

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Mar 2004
    • Posts: 1,074
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: question!

    FYI, "You're welcome" in Japanese is "Doh itashimashite". :wink:

  4. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,182
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: question!

    Quote Originally Posted by Taka
    FYI, "You're welcome" in Japanese is "Doh itashimashite". :wink:
    Thanks, Taka. :wink:

Similar Threads

  1. Question tags
    By manishrvarma in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 13-Jan-2008, 20:54
  2. Question tags.
    By manishrvarma in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14-Jul-2004, 04:40
  3. Tag question
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-Jun-2004, 11:11
  4. Ambiguous Question Interpretation
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 24-Apr-2004, 00:47
  5. Question about -ed phrases
    By Astro-D in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-Mar-2003, 20:13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •