Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. P. Fogg
    Guest
    #1

    It kept on crashing for me!

    What is the meaning of the sentence "It kept on crashing for me!"?

    Thank you in advance and best regards,

    P. Fogg

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2
    I presume it means that the computer kept crashing (when it stops working). Without more context, I assume it's a computer as they are the most common things that can keep on crashing.

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,174
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I presume it means that the computer kept crashing (when it stops working). Without more context, I assume it's a computer as they are the most common things that can keep on crashing.
    Hopefully, it wasn't a car. :wink:

  3. WASTHEBEST
    Guest
    #4

    Re: It kept on crashing for me!

    Quote Originally Posted by P. Fogg
    What is the meaning of the sentence "It kept on crashing for me!"?

    Thank you in advance and best regards,

    P. Fogg
    "For me" specifies that it was crashing on your behalf; since that is unlikely, the more appropriate sentence would be:
    "It kept crashing on me!"

  4. P. Fogg
    Guest
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I presume it means that the computer kept crashing (when it stops working). Without more context, I assume it's a computer as they are the most common things that can keep on crashing.
    Hopefully, it wasn't a car. :wink:
    No, it wasn´t a car. It was a computer.

    @all
    Thanks for your answers.

    P. Fogg

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6
    You're welcome.

  5. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,174
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by P. Fogg
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I presume it means that the computer kept crashing (when it stops working). Without more context, I assume it's a computer as they are the most common things that can keep on crashing.
    Hopefully, it wasn't a car. :wink:
    No, it wasn´t a car. It was a computer.

    @all
    Thanks for your answers.

    P. Fogg
    You're welcome.

  6. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,174
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: It kept on crashing for me!

    Quote Originally Posted by WASTHEBEST
    Quote Originally Posted by P. Fogg
    What is the meaning of the sentence "It kept on crashing for me!"?

    Thank you in advance and best regards,

    P. Fogg
    "For me" specifies that it was crashing on your behalf; since that is unlikely, the more appropriate sentence would be:
    "It kept crashing on me!"
    That reading of "for" is certainly possible. It is also possible to read that "for me" as "when I was using it" (as opposed to when someone else was using it"). :wink:

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9
    People often feel that a computer has a grudge against them as an individual and reserve crashes especially for them. It's a kind of anthropomorphism.

  7. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,174
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    People often feel that a computer has a grudge against them as an individual and reserve crashes especially for them. It's a kind of anthropomorphism.
    With some folks, it does seem to be true. :?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •