Anonymous Guest

Default how to understand

In the Commissionís opinion, this has also been achieved by removing the obligation, for EU citizens, to obtain a residency permit, which has been replaced by simply registering with the local residency authority; through introducing a right of permanent residency that would no longer be subject to any conditions after five years, or continuous residency in the reception Member State;

how can one understand the part "..., or continuous residency"

Is it "through introducing a right of permanent residency or continuous residency"? If yes then why put the comma before " or continuous".

if thes terms express the same idea shouldn't there be a comma after continuous residency too?

Thank you

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: how to understand

Quote Originally Posted by COSTA
    In the Commissionís opinion, this has also been achieved by removing the obligation, for EU citizens, to obtain a residency permit, which has been replaced by simply registering with the local residency authority; through introducing a right of permanent residency that would no longer be subject to any conditions after five years, or continuous residency in the reception Member State;

how can one understand the part "..., or continuous residency"

Is it "through introducing a right of permanent residency or continuous residency"? If yes then why put the comma before " or continuous".

if thes terms express the same idea shouldn't there be a comma after continuous residency too?

Thank you
    I am puzzled by the same part. I think the auther was trying to say "five years of continuous residency". That's the only way it makes sense to me. If so, the comma is not needed. I would have written:

through introducing a right of permanent residency that would no longer be subject to any conditions after five years of continuous residency in the reception Member State