• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile hurt

I haven't exercised for almost a year and I have spent much time surfing the internet. Recently, I felt the joint between my right shoulder and right arm hurt persistently. Whenever it's possible, I try to exercise my right arm a little by waving it back and forth.

I tried to say this to a collegue to explain away why I moved my right arms up and down gently. Correct me if I am wrong, especially the part in bold. Is it better for me to say "I felt persistent pain/sore/ache in the joint between my right should and arm?" Thanks.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: hurt

Angliholic - if this if your own experience, then you are developing Repetitive Strain Injury, and you must get advice on how to avoid it immediately. Have a look at this site for information :Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI) - Information, treatments, books, help

As to your question, "I have this persistent pain in my elbow"

There are three joints in the arm, starting from the top : the shoulder, the elbow, the wrist. Your sentence does not really make it clear exactly where the pain occurs.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: hurt

Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post

I tried to say this to a collegue to explain away why I moved my right arms up and down gently. Correct me if I am wrong, especially the part in bold. Is it better for me to say "I felt persistent pain/sore/ache in the joint between my right should and arm?" Thanks.
    I endorse Anglika's suggestion. But, on the strictly linguistic point, 'I felt' sounds as though either the pain's gone or that the first thing you noticed was a persistent pain (a bit of a contradiction in terms). It'd be better to say 'I've been feeling a persistent/nagging/recurrent/sharp/throbbing/dullą pain...' (or 'I've been getting/having...' - less formal).

b

ąThey don't mean the same - pick whichever fits!

angliholic is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: hurt

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Angliholic - if this if your own experience, then you are developing Repetitive Strain Injury, and you must get advice on how to avoid it immediately. Have a look at this site for information :Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI) - Information, treatments, books, help

As to your question, "I have this persistent pain in my elbow"

There are three joints in the arm, starting from the top : the shoulder, the elbow, the wrist. Your sentence does not really make it clear exactly where the pain occurs.
    Thanks for your concern, Anglika.
    I feel warmth and good because of your worry. You're a kind and loving person.
    I did read the link you provided, and it matches my case. I think I have repetitive strain injury in my right shoulder. I'll care for myself.
    Besides, I like your version--I have this persistent pain in my shoulder. It sounds much better than mine.

All the best to you,

Angliholic.

angliholic is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: hurt

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    I endorse Anglika's suggestion. But, on the strictly linguistic point, 'I felt' sounds as though either the pain's gone or that the first thing you noticed was a persistent pain (a bit of a contradiction in terms). It'd be better to say 'I've been feeling a persistent/nagging/recurrent/sharp/throbbing/dullą pain...' (or 'I've been getting/having...' - less formal).

b

ąThey don't mean the same - pick whichever fits!
    Thank you, Bob.
    I think you make perfect sense in your reasoning. I'd like to accept your corrections: I've been feeling a persistent/nagging/recurrent/sharp/throbbing pain.

These words are so awesome that I retype them again to commit them to my memory. Thanks, I just love them.