Post Thanks / Like

Default brand, label, mark, and make

Ok, this one is really driving me nuts. Again, I need to choose the correct option to complete the sentence:
    I didn't know which ....... of soap powder you used, so I just bought the supermarket's own.
    a. mark b. brand c. label d. make
    Normally I can cross out at least two of the options straight away, otherwise I resort to the dictionary. But on this occasion ALL of my dictionaries list them as synonyms, so what's the difference?

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: brand, label, mark, and make

Collocation again: 'a brand of soap-powder'; make would be acceptable, but would sound strange; label would be wrong (it usually applies to clothes), and so would mark (it usually applies to cars - often spelt marque - though that is reserved for names like Lamborghini rather than Hyundai). And people don't use either word for cars now:

'I've got a new car'

'What make/type?'

b
    Last edited by Casiopea; 03-May-2007 at 16:17. Reason: Forgive me. I hit "edit" instead of "quote". :oops:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Collocation again: 'a brand of soap-powder'; make would be acceptable, but would sound strange; label would be wrong (it usually applies to clothes), and so would mark (it usually applies to cars - often spelt marque - though that is reserved for names like Lamborghini rather than Hyundai). And people don't use either word for cars now:

'I've got a new car'

'What make/type?'

b
    sounds good to me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobK
    Collocation again: 'a brand of soap-powder'; make would be acceptable, but would sound strange;
    I agree on both counts. Make refers to a particular style (of goods); so, for example, if you're in a shop that sells specialty soaps you might hear, or might not, "What make of soap is this?" in reference to how it was made or designed.

All the best.