Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Dec 2006
    • Posts: 1,277
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    transformation of sentence

    The concert was extended only because the audience responded well.

    1. Without the audience's good response, the concert would not have been extended.

    2. Without the good response from the audience, the concert would not have been extended.

    Is #1 or #2 correct or are both fine?

  1. Harry Smith's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 2,926
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: transformation of sentence

    Quote Originally Posted by kohyoongliat View Post
    The concert was extended only because the audience responded well.

    1. Without the audience's good response, the concert would not have been extended.

    2. Without the good response from the audience, the concert would not have been extended.

    Is #1 or #2 correct or are both fine?
    I would say so: If not the audience's good response the concert wouldn't have been extended.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Dec 2006
    • Posts: 1,277
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: transformation of sentence

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I would say so: If not the audience's good response the concert wouldn't have been extended.
    If not for the audience's good response the concert wouldn't have been extended.

    If I'm not wrong, you've left out 'for'.

    Thanks.

    Regards

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Nov 2006
    • Posts: 57
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: transformation of sentence

    I'd say: Had it not been for the audience's warm response, the concert would not have been extended.

    Hope this helps


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,890
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: transformation of sentence

    Quote Originally Posted by kohyoongliat View Post
    If not for the audience's good response the concert wouldn't have been extended.

    If I'm not wrong, you've left out 'for'.

    Thanks.

    Regards
    Were it not for...

    If it were not for...

Similar Threads

  1. sentence structure question
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17-Jan-2008, 09:53
  2. sentence
    By Teia in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 17-Aug-2006, 14:01
  3. topic sentence
    By Taka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 20-Sep-2004, 13:02
  4. Are there softwares to speak English sentence by sentence
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18-Feb-2004, 17:25
  5. grammar
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 17-Dec-2003, 19:02

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •