Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Any difference?

  1. #1
    Taka is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,074
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Any difference?

    Is there any semantic difference between "It's the same as yours" and "It's the same with yours"?

    Taka

  2. #2
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Any difference?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taka
    Is there any semantic difference between "It's the same as yours" and "It's the same with yours"?

    Taka
    Yes there is.

    "It's the same as yours" means the same thing as the one you have.

    I just bought a new car. It's the same as yours.

    "It's the same with yours" means the same situation as occurred with something of yours.

    My computer crashes everytime I tried to load that game. I tried it on your computer and it's the same with yours.

  3. #3
    Taka is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,074
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Any difference?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by Taka
    Is there any semantic difference between "It's the same as yours" and "It's the same with yours"?

    Taka
    Yes there is.

    "It's the same as yours" means the same thing as the one you have.

    I just bought a new car. It's the same as yours.

    "It's the same with yours" means the same situation as occurred with something of yours.

    My computer crashes everytime I tried to load that game. I tried it on your computer and it's the same with yours.
    Then, the sentence that I posted before--"I would also come up with the same answer with yours, Casiopea."-- doesn't make any sence, and it should have been "I would also come up with the same answer as yours, Casiopea." instead, right?

  4. #4
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Any difference?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taka

    Then, the sentence that I posted before--"I would also come up with the same answer with yours, Casiopea."-- doesn't make any sence, and it should have been "I would also come up with the same answer as yours, Casiopea." instead, right?
    Absolutely correct! :D

  5. #5
    Taka is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,074
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Any difference?

    Thank you, Mike.

    By the way, is my English weird? How do you think it has been here? Looks like a typical "Japanese-English"?

    If you find any error or weird expression in my English, please don't hesitate to make corrections.

    Taka

  6. #6
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Any difference?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taka
    Thank you, Mike.

    By the way, is my English weird? How do you think it has been here? Looks like a typical "Japanese-English"?

    If you find any error or weird expression in my English, please don't hesitate to make corrections.

    Taka
    I have had no trouble with your English. I will correct you if I see a problem. :wink:

  7. #7
    Taka is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,074
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Any difference?

    Thank, you!!

  8. #8
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Any difference?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taka
    Thank you, Mike.

    By the way, is my English weird? How do you think it has been here? Looks like a typical "Japanese-English"?

    If you find any error or weird expression in my English, please don't hesitate to make corrections.

    Taka
    They are relatively minor things, but I would drop the a before typical, and I would say errors or weird expressions after any.

    All in all, you are not doing badly.

    :D

  9. #9
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Any difference?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taka
    Thank, you!!
    You're welcome. How long have you been studying English? :)

  10. #10
    Taka is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,074
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Any difference?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by Taka
    Thank, you!!
    You're welcome. How long have you been studying English? :)
    For a long time. Actually, I spent four years in the States and graduated from The University of Missouri (which was a long time ago, though).

    Now I teach English here in Japan to those who are having the entrance exam, the notorious one which is known for its excessive --and unnecessary, I think-- complexity. That's why my questions here have been always picky, and I'm sorry about that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. making the difference
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Oct-2004, 16:47
  2. What's the difference?
    By Dany in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-Oct-2004, 18:21
  3. time difference
    By whl626 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Jan-2004, 10:20
  4. What is the difference between in future and in the
    By Jenny Lau in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22-Jul-2003, 21:27
  5. the difference between Past & P.P. in the meaning
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Feb-2003, 16:06

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •