• Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Default strange, weird and queer

Hi! could you gimme a hand? I'd like to know whether I can use these three words ( strange, weird and queer) without changing the meaning of the sentence.

1) Mary didn't pick the phone up yesterday morning. I guess this is very strange!
    2) Mary didn't pick the phone up yesterday morning. I guess this is very queer!
    3) Mary didn't pick the phone up yesterday morning. I guess this is very weird!

If you think there can be some differences in the use of these three adjectives, could you gimme some examples, by explaining them to me? Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: strange, weird and queer

Quote Originally Posted by dilodi83 View Post
    Hi! could you gimme a hand? I'd like to know whether I can use these three words ( strange, weird and queer) without changing the meaning of the sentence.

1) Mary didn't pick the phone up yesterday morning. I guess this is very strange!
    2) Mary didn't pick the phone up yesterday morning. I guess this is very queer!
    3) Mary didn't pick the phone up yesterday morning. I guess this is very weird!

If you think there can be some differences in the use of these three adjectives, could you gimme some examples, by explaining them to me? Thanks in advance.

Hi,
    First, I wouldn't include "I guess" at the beginning of these sentences...it is very strange It is also weird "Queer" here in Canada is now often used as slang for a homosexual person (usually a man) but I think in BrE it has the same meaning as "strange" and "weird".
    Hope that helps!

dilodi83 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks very much for the answer. But can you give me some correct examples or situations where Americans use "strange" and "weird"? Also, I would like to know how you use "queer" in relaction to a homosexual person. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dilodi83 View Post
    Thanks very much for the answer. But can you give me some correct examples or situations where Americans use "strange" and "weird"? Also, I would like to know how you use "queer" in relaction to a homosexual person. Thanks again.

I honestly feel that we (NAE speakers) use "strange" and "weird" interchangeably although I would probably choose "strange" in a formal context.
    That was weird/strange
    She was acting weird/strange
    It's weird/strange that he didn't call

He's queer/He's a queer (now usually used as a noun, not an adjective)