• German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to be an atrractive English teacher

Concerning the 'attractiveness' of a teacher:

I think it's not about having a pretty face or the perfect body. But as in any job it's simply a matter of dressing appropriately. Don't come into class with slobbery jeans and a ripped shirt. Put on something nice, but also important: something that you still feel comfortable in! Which brings me back to my point of authenticity.

I've known teacher's who would never pass in an office job with the clothes that they are wearing. But, as they bring along a certain 'carma' - if you want to call it that - and still show respect towards their students, making them respect them back, they are loved by their students nevertheless

CHOMAT is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France
    Post Thanks / Like

No I did not mean it that way ? l saw liked in the scope of seduction and demagogy. The equation like or not be liked to obedient fearful pupils is specious to me
    Moreover,I won't use fun but pleasure in the relations .
    I think everyone of us should meditate upon the question how to be an attractive teacher ? is it to make our teaching attractive or is it to be liked personally and take advantage of this attractiveness to teach.
    I have no answer and don't intend to have one but I 'm convinced every teacher should look back at its own praxis and wonder....This is what I'm doing in questionning how to be an attractive teacher?
    besides, I've taught young convicts and young children ( 3 years) for many years and I guess that a repressive or at least a traditional way of teaching would have been a disaster, not.... fun anyway.

savedhamlet554 is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

is it to make our teaching attractive or is it to be liked personally and take advantage of this attractiveness to teach. [{quote]

--> I think it's a little bit of both

I guess that a repressive or at least a traditional way of teaching would have been a disaster, not.... fun anyway.[/quote]

--> definitely agree with that.

The traditional way in the sense of input only gets boring for the students and quite exhausting for the teacher, too, all too soon. I guess for any teacher it is most important to enjoy themselves in class. As soon as you get a feeling of dislike going into class you know you're doing something wrong, am I right?

Of course there will allways be classes that you teach with less enthusiasm as teacher and class just don't seem to connect. But I guess as long as you still receive positive results and feedback from other classes, these will be minor setbacks that any teacher has to live with. Life isn't perfect and there will allways be people who click and some who don't click - in class as well as anywhere in life.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France
    Post Thanks / Like

We've reached some agreement dear colleague.

savedhamlet554 is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

That's most wonderful Good night for today as - unlike many on this forum I have noticed - the two of us are actually on the same time

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France
    Post Thanks / Like

good night !!

Zionstyle is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: How to be an atrractive English teacher

be yourself, and don't get frastrated with it doesn't work well with every class you are teaching,' cos not only teachers have different style of teaching, but students also have differents style of learning as well.

Post Thanks / Like

In SE Asia a teacher of English simply HAS TO DRESS WELL. No ifs or buts.
    • If I wear a good quality new shirt and tie it gets noticed.
    • If my shoes are good quality and polished, it gets noticed.
    • If my trousers are tailored and dry cleaned, it gets noticed.
    • If my hair is groomed, it gets noticed.
    Out here, surface reality is everything.

A smart teacher is a good teacher.

BTW, make deliberate whiteboard mistakes: see if they are noticed. They will be, by the clever ones. It melts the ice. "Oh, teacher is a human too."

And let's face it, we all make unintentional mistakes too. No worries. You can self-correct or if you are brave enough ask the class to identify the mistake.

It works.

Drop your pen on purpose. Then drop it again. Be the stand-up comedian, now and then.

Grin like a Chesire cat, now and then. When reading dialogue impersonate the characters. Do a Monty Python routine.

It gets a big laugh.

And have your learners wear name badges. I don't know about you but I can't remember 200 names, especially when everyone dresses and looks the same .

Remember, you are on stage, performing. And don't forget to mingle.

Oh, and praise in public, criticize -- positively or negatively -- in private.

Save their face and they will love you for it.

One more thing, don't come into class smelling of booze or cigarettes. But you knew that anyway .

And don't bang on about bloody English grammar.

YAAAAWN.

Hope this helps

atm

Post Thanks / Like

Since I am newbie in this forum, I would like your suggestions on how to be more attractive when teaching adult blind students who have not yet mastered taking down notes in Braille or do not have a basic school education.
    The second problem at my workplace is that I have yet to get any computers for use in the classroom. They also get bored easily as our mother tongue is Malay, Chinese or Tamil. Their age range from 18 - 60.

JamalIbrahim is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: How to be an atrractive English teacher

I think to be an attractive english language teacher ,we need to dress well as well as having a cheerful but serious character . Moreover, a smiling and an encouraging face will do wonders.We must show our students that we really care about them not only their progress in the course but their own problems . Thus ,we can be attractive both from our deep insides and our clear outsides..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast