Thread: Help!

Unregistered Guest

Smile Help!

Hi, I'm 19 years old. I'd been in this country for about four years. I can say I know English but my problem is that I am shy when it comes of talking. I don't speak English at home that is why I don't speak English very good. I spend a lot of time searching online for some program that help me with my speaking. can you help me?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help!

I would try some chatroom - Yahoo chat i.e.

Jason72 is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

The chatroom is not the right choice! She needa verbal conversations.

You have to practice, you have to speak English with somebody!
    Last edited by Jason72; 20-Jun-2007 at 19:05. Reason: Thanks Casiopea for your correction! ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Of course, verbal coversations are allways better, but I am speaking out of my own experience. Chatroom helped me greatly, because when I started with English I was too shy to talk. Chatrooms helped me to overcome the fear that nobody would understand me if I made a mistake. Once I learned that people really understood me even though I made some mistakes, I was not worried so much, and my verbal conversations were easier for me. But if she has someone to speak with without worries, it is better. When I started with verbal communication, I even stopped people on the street and asked them simple questions. "How do I get .... , Where is...., How do I find...." They were ¨complete strangers, so I was not worried too much, that my English was not perfect. I knew I'd never see them again.

Post Thanks / Like

That's my personal opinion. I just don't see why would somebody be depressed or at least feel bad if he'd make a mistake in a chatroom. It is the part of the learning process.
    But I don't recommend making mistakes without worrying about it at all. If you do worry, you can make it better. It's always worth to ''worry about it''...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jason72 View Post
    The chatroom is not the right choice! She need verbal converstations.
    Correction
    She needs verbal conversations.

Post Thanks / Like

Jason72, personal opinions are welcome, yours and others. Please try to understand that what you don't understand or might see as bad advice might not be considered as such by the person who posted the question, or for that matter by the other people who come across this thread wanting an answer to the very same question. Allow them to decide what is and what is not of value.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, marseeprint.

Correction
    Always, not allways.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea View Post
    Jason72, personal opinions are welcome, yours and others. Please try to understand that what you don't understand or might see as bad advice might not be considered as such by the person who posted the question, or for that matter by the other people who come across this thread wanting an answer to the very same question. Allow them to decide what is and what is not of value.
    I was just disagreeing with the user and, as far as I know (knew) disageeing is (was) allowed. I am, again, sorry, but I just don't get how it is only (or at least, in most cases) me who makes this kind of mistakes.
    Never mind...

Post Thanks / Like

Note, off-topic.

Jason72, when you have the chance, you may want to read some of the posts in the Ask a Teacher Forum to get a better idea on how other members express their opinions when answering questions. It's a good start.

All the best