Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Comprehension

  1. #1
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Comprehension

    Dear teachers,

    I have two questions to ask.

    1. In the interval he does all he can to make a noise in the world, and there are few things of which he stands in more fear than of the absence of noise.
    What does the word 'which' stand for? For example, we can say 'This is the room in which he was born'. Here 'which' means 'room'. But if 'which' in the above sentence stands for 'things' to me it doesn't make sense.

    2. I have heard a young man holding up the monologue of a prince among modern wits for half an hour in order to tell us absolutely nothing about himself with opulent long-windedness.

    The author once heard a young man who for thirty munutes_______.
    a. interrupted an outstandingly witty speaker
    b. in a group of witty people, hindered a prince from making a speech
    c. delayed the speech which a prince was about to deliver to a group of intelligent people.
    'a' is the key. However, according to my dictionary, one of the meanings of 'hold up ' is 'to delay, to bring to a stop'. My question is 1. Does 'bring to a stop' bears the meaning 'interrupt'? 2. If it does how can I know in whether it means 'delay' or 'bring to a stop'? If I understand it as 'delay' then 'c' is correct. Am I right?

    I am looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang

  2. #2
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Comprehension

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    Dear teachers,

    I have two questions to ask.

    1. In the interval he does all he can to make a noise in the world, and there are few things of which he stands in more fear than of the absence of noise.
    What does the word 'which' stand for? For example, we can say 'This is the room in which he was born'. Here 'which' means 'room'. But if 'which' in the above sentence stands for 'things' to me it doesn't make sense.
    The word "which" stands for a particular kind of thing. It stands for the kinds of things he is afraid of.

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    2. I have heard a young man holding up the monologue of a prince among modern wits for half an hour in order to tell us absolutely nothing about himself with opulent long-windedness.

    The author once heard a young man who for thirty munutes_______.
    a. interrupted an outstandingly witty speaker
    b. in a group of witty people, hindered a prince from making a speech
    c. delayed the speech which a prince was about to deliver to a group of intelligent people.
    'a' is the key. However, according to my dictionary, one of the meanings of 'hold up ' is 'to delay, to bring to a stop'. My question is 1. Does 'bring to a stop' bears the meaning 'interrupt'? 2. If it does how can I know in whether it means 'delay' or 'bring to a stop'? If I understand it as 'delay' then 'c' is correct. Am I right?
    The phrase "prince among modern wits" suggests that the person is especially witty. Thus, only a fits here. "Hold up" is being used to mean "interrupt" although normally it would not be used that way.

    :)

  3. #3
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Comprehension

    :D
    Thank you very much for your explanation.

    Best wishes,

    Jiang

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    Dear teachers,

    I have two questions to ask.

    1. In the interval he does all he can to make a noise in the world, and there are few things of which he stands in more fear than of the absence of noise.
    What does the word 'which' stand for? For example, we can say 'This is the room in which he was born'. Here 'which' means 'room'. But if 'which' in the above sentence stands for 'things' to me it doesn't make sense.
    The word "which" stands for a particular kind of thing. It stands for the kinds of things he is afraid of.

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    2. I have heard a young man holding up the monologue of a prince among modern wits for half an hour in order to tell us absolutely nothing about himself with opulent long-windedness.

    The author once heard a young man who for thirty munutes_______.
    a. interrupted an outstandingly witty speaker
    b. in a group of witty people, hindered a prince from making a speech
    c. delayed the speech which a prince was about to deliver to a group of intelligent people.
    'a' is the key. However, according to my dictionary, one of the meanings of 'hold up ' is 'to delay, to bring to a stop'. My question is 1. Does 'bring to a stop' bears the meaning 'interrupt'? 2. If it does how can I know in whether it means 'delay' or 'bring to a stop'? If I understand it as 'delay' then 'c' is correct. Am I right?
    The phrase "prince among modern wits" suggests that the person is especially witty. Thus, only a fits here. "Hold up" is being used to mean "interrupt" although normally it would not be used that way.

    :)

  4. #4
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're quite welcome, kind sir.

    :D

Similar Threads

  1. comprehension
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-May-2004, 00:35
  2. Reading comprehension
    By blacknomi in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Apr-2004, 11:33
  3. comprehension, vocabulary and grammar
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 19-Apr-2004, 15:19
  4. Need advice on answering Qs from a comprehension passage,thx
    By Helped Wanted in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-Feb-2004, 15:42

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •