asad hussain is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Assessment/+test?

I've two questions.

1. I've often come across the words,Assessment and test, written together (i.e. Assessment test).. Is it correct to use them together, though they both mean the same? If so, what's the difference between "assessment" and "assessment test".

2. I've got to make an exam paper which contains each and everything done throughout the course. Can I say it's a "summative assessment", or should I say it's a "grand assessment" a "grand assessment test", or something else.

I've to use it as a heading.

Wikipedia goes;" Summative assessment - Summative assessment is generally carried out at the end of a course or project. In an educational setting, summative assessments are typically used to assign students a course grade."
    Last edited by asad hussain; 08-May-2007 at 04:05.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Assessment/+test?

Quote Originally Posted by asad hussain View Post
    1. I've often come across the words,Assessment and test, written together (i.e. Assessment test).. Is it correct to use them together, though they both mean the same? If so, what's the difference between "assessment" and "assessment test".
    In education, especially in ESL and EFL, an assessment test serves to determine (or assess) a person's language ability upon entering a school, which is why it's called an assessment test. There are other tests, too.

Quote Originally Posted by asad hussain
    2. I've got to make an exam paper which contains each and everything done throughout the course. Can I say it's a "summative assessment", or should I say it's a "grand assessment" a "grand assessment test", or something else.

I've to use it as a heading.

Wikipedia goes;" Summative assessment - Summative assessment is generally carried out at the end of a course or project. In an educational setting, summative assessments are typically used to assign students a course grade."
    Sounds right to me--and Wikipedia seems to agree.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea View Post
    In education, especially in ESL and EFL, an assessment test serves to determine (or assess) a person's language ability upon entering a school, which is why it's called an assessment test. There are other tests, too.

Sounds right to me--and Wikipedia seems to agree.
    Hi Casiopea,

So many thanks for once again giving me a hand.

Let me describe the whole scenario to you. I give private tuitions of Maths and Science subjects. One of my students has his final maths exam coming. I want to want to assess him in the same way his school teacher will. The test is comprised of all the topics covered throughout the course.

So can I use "Summative assessment test" as the heading?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh! Thanks! Have you looked at the title page for mistakes?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, and it looks fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot!!!!

Can I also use "Mock exam/ Test" ( what do I use with 'mock' ? test' or 'exam')?

Also give a line to write below it, as I above put a line in the title page above?

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asad hussain View Post
    ...I've often come across the words,Assessment and test, written together (i.e. Assessment test).. Is it correct to use them together, though they both mean the same? If so, what's the difference between "assessment" and "assessment test".

I've highlighted the problem. There are lots of means of assessment; assessment is just a means of telling how someone is doing/has done. Observation is one means of assessment (not only while doing a particular exercise, but just in daily conversation); another is assessed course-work; another is a summative test (done at the end of a course); another is a formative test (done during a course)... [teachers assess students all the time - I'm sure my list is incomplete].

All tests are used for assessment (unless the teacher is a sadist!), but not all assessment is done by testing.

But your title page is fine.

b