Unregistered Guest

Default help for my thesis

good morning,
    i'm new in this forum.i'm italian and i need your help.i'm doing a thesis about "english as a global language and i have written a questionnarie to analyse some aspects.i will be very happy if you could answer it.
    this is the questionnaire(you can answer shortly)thank you very much.bye

Questions :

1- Why English is the most predominant language nowadays? Why has it become a global language?
    2-Many people think the spread of English is related to the economic and political supremacy of U.K and U.S.A.. If another nation will be more powerful in the future, could English lose its prestige as it happened for Latin or French?
    3-Can English be considered as a positive factor in the international growth of the economy?
    Yes… no….. why?
    4-Could the “leadership” of English as a “global language” cause a levelling of the culture into a “global” culture, so to become¬ a danger for minority cultures and traditions?
    Yes…, No…, Why?
    5-The spread of English around the world has generated new varieties of English in the different territories where it has taken root. Could this aspect be a loss for international communications?
    Yes…, No…, Why?
    6-Many experts say that the rise of English as a global language has caused the disappearance of minority languages . Is this a loss, according to you?
    7- With the spread of English globally, new words and new varieties have emerged. Do you think it could be a serious danger for Standard English?
    8- Nowadays the most important requirement in order to get a job is a good competence in English. Could the loss of this requirement be a disadvantage in our society?
    9-Has “Internet” influenced the spread of of global English according to you? Will it help English maintain its global influence?
    10-Some experts have seen the promotion of English around the world as a neo-imperialist project or as a linguistic discrimininations. What do you think about it?
    11-Many European countries, as Italy and France, defend their mother-tongue; many others consider English very important for international communications and relations. Is the role of English in Europe a danger or a resource?
    12-Inevitably, the formation of new varieties of English raises the spectre of the possible dissolution of English into new languages as it happened when Latin gave rise to the various Romance languages. Is English in the same danger?
    13-Will those who speak English as a native language automatically be in a position of power compared to those who have to learn it as a second or foreign language?
    14-Surfing the web I have read how many English, American, Canadian or Australian scholars think that a god knowledge of English is enough for their career. As a matter of fact, when we read a book of an Anglo-saxon writer, the bibliography is only made up of English texts.
    Is it a disadvantage for writers of books written in another language? Is this a negative aspect?
    15-In the past the European Union adopted a “lingua franca”: Esperanto, but this project failed. Could English be the next experiment?
    16-Many experts and linguists discuss about the “English question”. What is your opinion about the future of English? Will it remain the world’s language?
    17-In many countries the teaching of English as a “foreign language” is compulsory. What do you think about it? What could the consequences be?
    18-What is your opinion about learning English nowadays? Is it a way to enrich our culture or merely a way to adapt ourselves to modern society?
    19-Can a global language eliminate the motivation for non native speakers to learn such an important language ? And for native students will the presence of their language as “global language” make them lazy about learning other languages or reduce their opportunities to do it?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: help for my thesis

15-In the past the European Union adopted a “lingua franca”: Esperanto, but this project failed. Could English be the next experiment?
    Where have you got this information???
    Do you really know what Esperanto is?

Toño
    [HTML]http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/tdb/blog.htm[/HTML]

Noego is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll answer just one:

"16-Many experts and linguists discuss about the “English question”. What is your opinion about the future of English? Will it remain the world’s language?"

I believe Chinese will eventually become more popular than English. As to how long it will take however, I have no idea.

Post Thanks / Like

1- Why English is the most predominant language nowadays? Why has it become a global language?

I would say that this would have to do with the emergence of the United States as a super power, as well as Britains movements to colonize as much as the world as possible, resulting in the commonwealth.

2-Many people think the spread of English is related to the economic and political supremacy of U.K and U.S.A.. If another nation will be more powerful in the future, could English lose its prestige as it happened for Latin or French?

History repeats right? While we cannot say for certain, we can observe trends and make inferences. If the trends in the past has been for the language to lose its prestige, then we can infer that this may be the case in the future.

3-Can English be considered as a positive factor in the international growth of the economy?

I believe that this is yes. The reason being that an international economy would need to have common language to facilitate easy communication. While this can be accomplished through translations, it should also be observed that translations may differ.

4-Could the “leadership” of English as a “global language” cause a levelling of the culture into a “global” culture, so to become¬ a danger for minority cultures and traditions?
    Yes…, No…, Why?

As this is already an issue, I don't think that there is really any room for debate. The bastardization of culture and langage for profit has already been an occurence. Take Hawaii for example. It's traditions were exploited for American tourism, and now native Hawaiians are tackling the battle of reteaching what the true meaning behind things such as the Hula dance really are.

5-The spread of English around the world has generated new varieties of English in the different territories where it has taken root. Could this aspect be a loss for international communications?
    Yes…, No…, Why?

This could eventually be a problem. English is a language that frequently borrows words and meanings from other langages however, so I believe that this is simply the nature of the English language. However, pop-culture also serves as a way to standardize new words and meanings, and as pop-culture is shot all over the planet, it can be said that in a way this has a unifying property for the English language. I don't think that this will become a loss for international communications as there are different language requirements and standards for English used in the workplace and English used on the streets and at home.

6-Many experts say that the rise of English as a global language has caused the disappearance of minority languages . Is this a loss, according to you?

I believe that any loss of culture and tradition is a great loss. To me, it is the same as hunting an animal to extinction.

7- With the spread of English globally, new words and new varieties have emerged. Do you think it could be a serious danger for Standard English?

Is there a definition for Standard English? I wasn't even aware that there was a Standard for English. Depending on the country or region you are in, spellings and such differ, and that is what makes your variety of English unique. As a Canadian, if I was writing a formal letter to an American, I would not resort to American spelling. I think that the many different varieties of English prove that there is no true "standard".

8- Nowadays the most important requirement in order to get a job is a good competence in English. Could the loss of this requirement be a disadvantage in our society?

I think you would have to define which society you are talking about.
    If you were to remove this requirement there could be a crippling effect on communications. How could a company run by English businessmen hire a non-English speaker when they cannot communicate with them? Likewise, how can an Italian-speaking business owner hope to hire an English-speaking employee when neither can understand what the other is saying?

9-Has “Internet” influenced the spread of of global English according to you? Will it help English maintain its global influence?

As the internet is currently the most massive form of mass communications, I believe yes.

• 68.4% of all web content was written in English in 2004.
    • The English language has grown 203.5% from 2000-2005 in terms of internet useage
    • The programming languages of the internet are written with the assumed understanding of English and English abbreviations. For example: <title></title> (html), h1 (CSS, Level 1 Header), <? include(""); ?> (PHP), etc.
    • W3 Consortium is English and determines all standards for internet programming, and is also supported internationally
    • The internet is now being used for e-learning. Recognized institutions are now using e-learning to teach prospective students who do not speak English natively, how to speak and write English online before they come to study.
    • In order to display foreign characters on webpages the webmaster must either encode them or the user must have language package software installed
    • There is no support for foreign characters in email and IRL's (as far as I know)

Those are just some of the reasons why I believe this.

10-Some experts have seen the promotion of English around the world as a neo-imperialist project or as a linguistic discrimininations. What do you think about it?

Welcome to the age of neo-colonialism.

11-Many European countries, as Italy and France, defend their mother-tongue; many others consider English very important for international communications and relations. Is the role of English in Europe a danger or a resource?

Resource if they would like to communicate effectively with the US, Canada, UK. Danger if they would like to hang onto their traditional values and cultures.

12-Inevitably, the formation of new varieties of English raises the spectre of the possible dissolution of English into new languages as it happened when Latin gave rise to the various Romance languages. Is English in the same danger?

See answers to questions 5 and 7.

13-Will those who speak English as a native language automatically be in a position of power compared to those who have to learn it as a second or foreign language?

I think they may be in a position of power in their Native countries, or countries where English is a primary official language.
    However, due to cultural differences and I think the subconcious preference of familiarity, this is the opposite in countries where English is not a primary language or in a situation where a native English speaker is immigrating and competing in a different country with highly qualified applicants who speak fluent English or have studied English abroad.

14-Surfing the web I have read how many English, American, Canadian or Australian scholars think that a god knowledge of English is enough for their career. As a matter of fact, when we read a book of an Anglo-saxon writer, the bibliography is only made up of English texts.
    Is it a disadvantage for writers of books written in another language? Is this a negative aspect?

This all depends on who the book is targeted towards. Some writers may only care about the success of their book in their own language.

Furthermore, many authors also have their books translated and released abroad.

I don't know anything about the history of the EU, but being that English is already gaining success around the world, are we not past the experimental stage? Websites such as this would not exist if there was not demand for the English language from those who do not speak English.

16-Many experts and linguists discuss about the “English question”. What is your opinion about the future of English? Will it remain the world’s language?

Trends and possibilities. With the increasing demand for ESL teachers, it looks as though it might. But things can always change.

Also, in response to the comment about Chinese. In order for Chinese to become a dominant language, it would have to replace English in computer programming, science and technology. Furthermore, although more people speak Chinese than English (I believe), they are pretty concentrated in one geographic area. There are also many different dialects of Chinese, and though I have heard communications professors speak about the increasing importance of Mandarin, they have also noted that speakers of many Chinese dialects cannot understand speakers of other dialects, and if this cannot be resolved in China, what is the hope that this will spread around the world.

17-In many countries the teaching of English as a “foreign language” is compulsory. What do you think about it? What could the consequences be?

I think the result is a loss of native language.
    Although English is very important in the business world, I wish that it wasn't compulsory to teach it to all children in order to reduce this effect.

18-What is your opinion about learning English nowadays? Is it a way to enrich our culture or merely a way to adapt ourselves to modern society?

Adaptation to a modern society.

19-Can a global language eliminate the motivation for non native speakers to learn such an important language ? And for native students will the presence of their language as “global language” make them lazy about learning other languages or reduce their opportunities to do it?

I believe that it will make native students lazier about learning other languages.

I don't understand the elimination of motivation for non-native speakers. If it is a global language which can bring them increased opportunities career-wise, I would think that it would increase motivation.

These are simply my opinions based on my experiences as a native English speaker with many non-native English speaking friends.

And I'm not a teacher, just a student.