• Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia
    Post Thanks / Like

modals 2

Dear teachers,

Could you please tell me if the modals I have chosen are correct or are there other possibilities?

I/ We were beginning to get more and more fed up with the “holiday by the sea”. We (modal + go + always) 1 WOULD ALWAYS GO / ALWAYS USED TO GO (both?) to the south coast regularly for a fortnight every summer. There (not + be) 2 WAS NOT a chance to have a proper summer holiday last year, so we (decide) 3 DECIDED we (modal + have) 4 SHOULD / WOULD / MIGHT / COULD (?) HAVE some sort of a winter holiday. Some friends of ours (tell) 5 TOLD us we (modal + not + enjoy) 6 WOULD NOT ENJOY a skiing holiday, that it was always so cold you (modal + go) 7 WOULD / MIGHT GO skiing just to keep warm. We only (have) 8 HAD eight days instead of our normal fortnight away. All together, with the return flight, accommodation, etc., it (come) 9 CAME to about £125 for the three of us. And it was worth every penny. I mean, I work hard all the year round. I (need) 10 NEED a complete change and I (will) 11 AM WILLING to pay for it. I (modal + recommend + certainly) 12 WOULD / SHOULD (?) CERTAINLY RECOMMEND a holiday like this to anyone. We saved up for it, by the way, by cutting down on luxuries.

II/ If you (modal + take) 13 WOULD TAKE (is SHOULD TAKE possible?) a seat, the doctor (see) 14 WILL SEE you in five minutes.

Thank you for your help.
    Best regards,
    Hela

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: modals 2

[quote="hela"]Dear teachers,

Could you please tell me if the modals I have chosen are correct or are there other possibilities?

I/ We were beginning to get more and more fed up with the “holiday by the sea”. We (modal + go + always) 1 WOULD ALWAYS GO / ALWAYS USED TO GO (both?) to the south coast regularly for a fortnight every summer.
    If the initial capital "I" is the pronoun, that would be incorrect with the verb "were". Both of your choices could be used here, but neither should be used with "regularly". That combination is redundant.

There (not + be) 2 WAS NOT a chance to have a proper summer holiday last year, so we (decide) 3 DECIDED we (modal + have) 4 SHOULD / WOULD / MIGHT / COULD (?) HAVE some sort of a winter holiday.
    2. There was "no chance" would be better.
    3. yes
    4. should/would/could (not might, IMO)

Some friends of ours (tell) 5 TOLD us we (modal + not + enjoy) 6 WOULD NOT ENJOY a skiing holiday, that it was always so cold you (modal + go) 7 WOULD / MIGHT GO skiing just to keep warm.
    6. would/might
    7. would/might

We only (have) 8 HAD eight days instead of our normal fortnight away. All together, with the return flight, accommodation, etc., it (come) 9 CAME to about £125 for the three of us. And it was worth every penny. I mean, I work hard all the year round. I (need) 10 NEED a complete change
    8. yes
    9. yes
    10. needed

and I (will) 11 AM WILLING to pay for it. I (modal + recommend + certainly) 12 WOULD / SHOULD (?) CERTAINLY RECOMMEND a holiday like this to anyone. We saved up for it, by the way, by cutting down on luxuries.
    11. was willing (but that's not a modal)
    12. will/would/can

II/ If you (modal + take) 13 WOULD TAKE (is SHOULD TAKE possible?) a seat, the doctor (see) 14 WILL SEE you in five minutes.
    13. would/will
    14. yes

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd say the always\regularly pairing in number one is more than redundant: it's not really compatible.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the first one, "We were getting more and more fed up...." would be better than "We were beginning to get...." IMO.

:)

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    For the first one, "We were getting more and more fed up...." would be better than "We were beginning to get...." IMO.

I agree with that. :wink:

milky Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee

I agree. "We were begiining to get fed up" is fine, but with "more and more", no.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like