• Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool key off of

What's the meaning of "to key off of" in the following sentence:

"I decided that the only way to go about was just to key off of the man's apparent nedds as expressed by the work of tha actor that play him."

Thank You

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: key off of

Seems to say that "I" would use the man's apparent needs as the point from which to start something. Not really enough context to be absolutely clear.

2006 is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: key off

That sentence is not a very good one. In particular, unless I am completely misinterpreting the meaning, the phrase should be 'key off', not "key off of".
    A better sentence is, I decided that the only way to go about this was just to key off the man's apparent needs, as expressed by the work of the actor that (plays)(played) him.

My understanding of "key off" is similar to Anglika's: to focus on, to take my cue from. I will focus on, or start with, the man's apparent needs....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: key off

Quote Originally Posted by 2006 View Post
    That sentence is not a very good one. In particular, unless I am completely misinterpreting the meaning, the phrase should be 'key off', not "key off of".
    A better sentence is, I decided that the only way to go about this was just to key off the man's apparent needs, as expressed by the work of the actor that (plays)(played) him.

My understanding of "key off" is similar to Anglika's: to focus on, to take my cue from. I will focus on, or start with, the man's apparent needs....
    'key off of' is American English, and 'key off' is a phrase I have never heard before.

2006 is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Then maybe you learned something. Tell us what "key off of" means to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Of the actor that PLAY with him?
    About what?
    To key off of?

Where on Earth did you find this?

I haven't the foggiest what you are trying to figure out... Please be more specific! Tnx!

Key off-unlock... My cousin said that, but he is 3, so... :D

Bushwhacker is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: key off of

OK. Sorry for all this mess. Trying to be more specific I can say all this is about actor William Hurt's speak on his work to get to play a character. Movie is "Mr. Brooks", and there in we have Kevin Costner --who it happens to be Mr. Brooks (title role)-- as a serial killer nobody suspects of because of his community pillar reputation. Hurt is an imaginary friend, in fact the ghost character who forces Costner to kill. He's kind of a devil. So, Hurt talks about the way he has prepared the role and says this already famous sentence I repeat with more specifics words I removed thinking they weren't important (my fault, sorry, honestly, but I wanted not to complicate my plea). Sentence again is:

"I decided that the only way to go about it was just to key off of Brooks' apparent nedds as expressed by Kevin's work. A lot of it was up to Kevin, so my problem was kind of answered."

Grateful for the interest and still beggin an answer if those proposed so far don't match because of the lack of information.
    Last edited by Bushwhacker; 10-May-2007 at 00:11.

Bushwhacker is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: key off of

OK. Sorry for all this mess. Trying to be more specific I can say all this is about actor William Hurt's speak on his work to get to play a character. Movie is "Mr. Brooks", and there in we have Kevin Costner --who it happens to be Mr. Brooks (title role)-- as a serial killer nobody suspects of because of his community pillar reputation. Hurt is an imaginary friend, in fact the ghost character who forces Costner to kill. He's kind of a devil. So, Hurt talks about the way he has prepared the role and says this already famous sentence I repeat with more specifics words I removed thinking they weren't important (my fault, sorry, honestly, but I wanted not to complicate my plea). Sentence again is:

"I decided that the only way to go about it was just to key off of Brooks' apparent nedds as expressed by Kevin's work. A lot of it was up to Kevin, so my problem was kind of answered."

Grateful for the interest and still beggin an answer if those proposed so far don't match because of the lack of information.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2006 View Post
    Then maybe you learned something. Tell us what "key off of" means to you.
    Ouch. Am I missing some humour, or is this as arrogant as it sounds?

b

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Ouch. Am I missing some humour, or is this as arrogant as it sounds?

b
    It does, and I wonder who it was aimed at...