View Poll Results: 'Email' is...

Voters
13. This poll is closed
  • Countable

    5 38.46%
  • Uncountable

    2 15.38%
  • It can be either depending on the context

    6 46.15%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Email

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 46,281
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Email

    Someone posted that it was uncountable only, which I don't agree with.

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 19,802
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Email

    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    Someone posted that it was uncountable only, which I don't agree with.
    As I see it used, it is countable. :wink:

  2. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3
    Definitely countable. Example:
    • I sent several emails today.


    :)

  3. Susie Smith
    Guest
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Definitely countable. Example:
    • I sent several emails today.


    :)
    Now, that's a good question and one I've often asked myself.
    Email is short for electronic mail. So it's a kind of mail. Mail is considered uncountable, isn't it?

    I received many pieces of mail. / I received much mail.
    I received many e-mail messages. I sent a lot of e-mail.

    I'd say that e-mail is uncountable but that it's "acceptable in informal English" to say e-mails because a lot of people do it.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 46,281
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5
    I see no need for it to follow the example of mail. I can count them in my inbox- I'd never heard this argument- in BE, it's fine in the most formal language.


    • Join Date: Mar 2004
    • Posts: 258
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6
    Yoah. I also can count my mails in my box. Today I've already received exactly 37 emails. :o

    8)

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 3,428
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7
    I'm not a teacher, so please consider any advice I give in that context.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 46,281
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Susie Smith
    Email is short for electronic mail. So it's a kind of mail. Mail is considered uncountable, isn't it?

    I received many pieces of mail. / I received much mail.
    I received many e-mail messages. I sent a lot of e-mail.

    I'd say that e-mail is uncountable but that it's "acceptable in informal English" to say e-mails because a lot of people do it.
    We don't use the word 'mail' in BE, which might make a difference.

  4. Susie Smith
    Guest
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Red5
    I'm with Icyborg.

  5. Susie Smith
    Guest
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    Quote Originally Posted by Susie Smith
    Email is short for electronic mail. So it's a kind of mail. Mail is considered uncountable, isn't it?

    I received many pieces of mail. / I received much mail.
    I received many e-mail messages. I sent a lot of e-mail.

    I'd say that e-mail is uncountable but that it's "acceptable in informal English" to say e-mails because a lot of people do it.
    We don't use the word 'mail' in BE, which might make a difference.
    I didn't know that. What do you say? Letters, parcels, etc.?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Red5: how can I send my email address to you?
    By Anonymous in forum Support Area
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18-Jun-2004, 17:05
  2. email notification
    By whl626 in forum Support Area
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-Jan-2004, 13:43
  3. short or long vowels
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-Nov-2003, 23:26

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •