Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Both

  1. #1
    hela is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Both

    Dear teachers,

    1) When do we say both books and when do we say both of the books ?

    2) Are the following structures correct?
    a) Both books you lent me are interesting.
    b) Both books you lent me I found interesting?

    Thank you very much in advance.
    Hela

  2. #2
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15,248
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Both

    Quote Originally Posted by hela
    Dear teachers,

    1) When do we say both books and when do we say both of the books ?

    2) Are the following structures correct?
    a) Both books you lent me are interesting.
    b) Both books you lent me I found interesting?

    Thank you very much in advance.
    Hela
    1. "Both books" and "both of the books" are interchangeable.

    2. a. is good
    2. b. is clumsy. Try "I found both books you lent me to be interesting."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    258
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Both

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork


    1. "Both books" and "both of the books" are interchangeable.

    2. a. is good
    2. b. is clumsy. Try "I found both books you lent me to be interesting."

    OR. I found both books you lent me interesting.

    :wink:

  4. #4
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like
    I liked both books.

    :wink:

  5. #5
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15,248
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Both

    Quote Originally Posted by henry
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork


    1. "Both books" and "both of the books" are interchangeable.

    2. a. is good
    2. b. is clumsy. Try "I found both books you lent me to be interesting."

    OR. I found both books you lent me interesting.

    :wink:
    Yes, that would work. I normally insert the "to be" if the descriptive word does not immediately follow the noun it describes. :wink:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •