I have five sentences in english for homework for which i have to draw a phrase structure tree with noun phrases, verb phrase and so on. and i have no idea how to do it. can anybody help me? the sentences are:
1) "Are you interested in the human brain?"
2) "Would you like to conduct research into the workings of the brain and join an enthusiastic, international group of top researchers?"
3) The Masterīs programme in Cognitive Neuroscience is a multi-disciplinary programme closely involving scientists from various faculties and research institutes on campus, who come from all over the world."
4) "They are all of great international standing."
5) "They will also supervise your practical training and the writing of a Masterīs thesis in the second year."
Perhaps you can help me with some of these sentences? That would be so kind! this task drives me to despair..
You are perfectly right
and i think you will not correct homework either but iīll try nevertheless. could you just say if it is right what i found out?that would be a great help.
my solution is:
1) "S: (Aux Are) + (NP you) + (VP interested (PP in (NP the (AP human) brain))))?"
2) "S:(Aux Would) + (NP you) + (VP like to conduct(does it belong together as one verb?) (NP research (PP into (NP the workings) (PP of (NP the brain))))) [Conj and] (VP join (NP an (AP enthusiastic, international) group (PP of (AP top) researchers)))?"
3) S:(NP The Masterīs programme (PP in (AP Cognitive Neuroscience))) + (VP is (NP a (AP multi-disciplinary) programme) (VP?what is "closely involving" in this sentence?a whole VP? (AP closely) involving (NP scientists (PP from [NP(NP(AP various) faculties)) (Conj. and) (NP research institutes (PP on (NP campus)))])), + (Comp./subclause?: who (VP come (PP from (AP all) (PP over (NP the world))))."
4) "S:(NPThey) + (VP are (NP all(is "all" a noun phrase?) (PP of (NP(AP great international) standing))))."
5) "S: (NPThey) + (Aux will) (also? i think itīs an adverb but i donīt know where to put it) + (VP supervise (NP(NP your (AP practical) training) (Conj.and) (NP the writing (PP of (NP a Masterīs thesis (PP in (NP the (AP second) year))))))."