Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Allie

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Allie

[QUOTE=Philly;174232]"Past simple" is the name of a verb tense.example (For : He saw)
    "Present simple" is also the name of a verb tense. (For example: He sees)

In your text, the word 'saying' is a present participle, but it is not a "tense". In fact, in the context, the meaning is past, not present.

Reply - Can you show me in a sentence or two where the tense is shown.
    Also, I have trouble with POV wobbles. When Paul comes in with his comments (In the sentence I first sent) that is not a POV shift?

Philly is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Allie

Hi Allie

Your text was:
    Anna sat in her garden and watched the marvelous hummingbirds bout each other for a sip of the nectar. Her attention turned as Paul approached saying, "'Danger is here, follow me, Anna."
    Think of your last sentence this way:
    Her attention turned(1) as Paul approached(2) (and was) saying(3) ...
    1 = the past simple (turned)
    2 = the past simple (approached)
    3 = the past progressive -- also known as 'the past continuous' (was saying)

Participles are used in various ways. Here is an example in which a present participle is used as a gerund (noun) and so there is nothing even remotely similar to a "tense" connected with the word 'seeing'. The sentence is simply in the past tense -- as determined by the only verb in the sentence, which is 'frightened':

Seeing a ghost frightened him badly.

In the next sentence, a present participle is used, but the meaning is past. The past meaning is determined by the context (in this case, the word 'barged'):

Ignoring the "Do not disturb" sign, he barged into the room.
    The sentence above means 'He ignored the sign and barged into the room.'

I can easily add a further present participle to the same sentence:

Ignoring the "Do not disturb" sign hanging on the doorknob, he barged into the room.
    In this sentence, some words have been elided: "... sign that was hanging on the doorknob..." So, in this sentence, 'hanging' means 'was hanging'.

Does that help?

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Anna sat in her garden and watched the marvelous hummingbirds bout each other for a sip of the nectar. Her attention turned as Paul approached, saying, "'Danger is here, follow me, Anna."

Allie, there seems to me no problem in this. Narrative past, but within that past Paul is approaching and saying [as he did so]. I would not worry too much about the niceties of tense in this kind of narrative, so long as you are consistent in any passage.

I would change it to "Danger is here. Follow me, Anna."

Also, I have a little difficulty with "hummingbirds bout" - is this a recognised term?

Jason72 is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

''Bout'' is a noun, but today, people are making verbs out of nouns. So it would have to mean: ''to compete'', or ''fight''.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Allie

Thanks to all who answered my questions. I am writing a novel and am well into it. I am a member of a critique group. We write chapters and bring them in each week, with enough copies to pass around, at least 10 copies. We take them home and return the next week with our critiques of the chapters we read and also we get the ones we submitted critiqued. In the beginning, I was having a lot of problems with "tense" and POV.

Do any of you have the time to show me a POV wobble or shift?

In my class, I will hear "work on your tense" and your POV but they don't show you how. Most of them are college grads and I'm doing it on my own. Well, now with your help. Thank you again. Allie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2