Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Joining of sentences

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_Adam View Post
    This had nothing to do with this thread, bit I had to ''get it out''... :D Sorry
    OK. So, obviously, you've read the Forum rules. You may want to practice what you've read.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kohyoongliat View Post
    I like to play soccer. I like to play badminton more.
    1. I prefer playing badminton to playing soccer.
    2. I prefer playing badminton to soccer.

Which is the correct sentence when the two sentences are joined?
    1) is better, for the reasons given when you asked this question earlier - you are comparing two things and it should be an 'apples to apples' comparison.

2) is acceptable, but leaves an element of doubt - is playing soccer more fun than watching badminton, or reading about badminton?

Quote Originally Posted by =kohyoongliat
    However, perhaps it is because my English is not good enough that I did not view the teachers' answers as exactly the same as yours. I'm not a native speaker and so, I believe, I have interpreted wrongly.
    Your profile says you are an English Tutor...

kohyoongliat is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget I'm not a native speaker, and I cannot claim to be on the same level as a good native speaker although I'm a tutor of English. Also, the way I interpreted the earlier replies from the other members who answered my query is different from that of a good native speaker. So my view is that a good native speaker has a better command of English than a non-native speaker, including me.

Your reply is the clearest and leave me with no doubt what I should teach my students.

With best wishes

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget I'm not a native speaker, and I cannot claim to be on the same level as a good native speaker although I'm a tutor of English. Also, the way I interpreted the earlier replies from the other members who answered my query is different from that of a good native speaker. So my view is that a good native speaker has a better command of English than a non-native speaker, including me.

Your reply is the clearest and leave me with no doubt what I should teach my students.

With best wishes
    You are welcome, and thanks for your comments!

I know some non-native speakers who speak extremely good English - better than some native speakers. Good English is not a magical property, though it is worth remembering that culture and language are intertwined and this can affect understanding in some circumstances.

Jason72 is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

With best wishes
    Hi kohyoongliat!
    I respectfully disagree with this post! Considering you are a tutor, you MUST be on a higher level than some average-level native speaker. You at least have to know grammar as good as some native-speaker tutor!

kohyoongliat is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jason72 View Post
    Hi kohyoongliat!
    I respectfully disagree with this post! Considering you are a tutor, you MUST be on a higher level than some average-level native speaker. You at least have to know grammar as good as some native-speaker tutor!

You wrote: "Considering you are a tutor, you MUST be on a higher level than some average-level native speaker."

Maybe you're right but please note what I wrote: "So my view is that a good native speaker has a better command of English than a non-native speaker, including me." (Please note that I wrote: 'good native speaker', not 'average-level native speaker.')

You wrote that I at least have to know grammar as good as some native-speaker tutor.

Thanks for your compliment, but I don't think that I'm as good as
    'some native-speaker tutor'.

With best wishes

Jason72 is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

You are partially right, but if you are indeed A TUTOR, you should have no obstacles.
    And, that was not a compliment, I said you HAVE TO BE as good as other tutor.
    Never mind, it's not related to this topic after all.

All the best!

Noego is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jason72 View Post
    Hi kohyoongliat!
    Uh?! What happened to my other post? Was it really that harsh?

Anyways,

It depends what you're teaching. Teaching younger kids doesn't require some high level knowledge of English.

There are many English teachers here, in China, who teach younger children. Their English is certainly much poorer than native speakers and so is their knowledge of grammar.

It doesn't mean they're doing a bad job, but it certainly wouldn't be true to say that as tutors, their grasp of English is as good as natives!

Post Thanks / Like

If you wish to continue this topic, please start a new thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2