• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default correction to let alone; would

Dear teachers,
    I posted the questions a few hours ago. When I was dwelling on the second question I realized that I made a mistake in analyzing the structure of the sentence. To save your time I am posting the questions again here. And I correct the second explanation in this post.

I came across two sentences one of which I don't understand and one of which, I think, is not correct.

No.1. A sharp change toward resource-conserving diets would be a heavy blow to some segments of our food industry, which, however, would be better able to bear it than would the family agriculture of the past.

My question is: Is the sentence after 'than', that is 'than would the family agriculture of the past' an inverted sentence? If it is what's the reason for doing so?

No.2. It should be granted that there are some grounds for pessimism that the diet revolution will occur, let alone that it may leave us notably healthier and wealthier.

I have three questions to ask:

No.1. I have consulted my dictionaries a sentence is always a negative one or of negative meaning when we use 'let alone'. For example, 'too tired to walk, let alone run'. So the sentence should be 'It should......that the diet revolution will not occur, let alone.....and wealthier' Am I right?

No.2. My dictionaries indicate that 'let alone' is an idiom. Does it serve as a conjunction in sentences?

No.3. In the sentence 'that the diet revolutin will occur' is the appositive of grounds. What does 'that it may leave us notably healthier and wealthier' serve as? In other words, how to analyze this part?

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Have a nice weekend.

Jiang

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: correction to let alone; would

No.1. A sharp change toward resource-conserving diets would be a heavy blow to some segments of our food industry, which, however, would be better able to bear it than would the family agriculture of the past.

My question is: Is the sentence after 'than', that is 'than would the family agriculture of the past' an inverted sentence? If it is what's the reason for doing so?
    X would be better able to bear Z than would Y be able to bear Z.

No.2. It should be granted that there are some grounds for pessimism that the diet revolution will occur, let alone that it may leave us notably healthier and wealthier.
    ..., not to mention that it may leave us notably healthier and wealthier.

:D

jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

:?
    Thank you very much for your explanation.

I am afraid I didn't express my ideas clearly.

My question to No.1 is why 'than would the family agriculture of the past' instead of 'than the family agriculture of the past would'? Is the sentence I quoted is an inverted sentence?

My question to No.2 is it seems to me that the tune or the meaning of the former part of the sentence, that is, 'It should be granted that there are some grounds for pessimism that the diet revolution will occur' doesn't agree with that of the latter part of the sentence, that is, 'let alone that it may leave us notably healthier and wealthier'. So the former part should be 'It should be granted that there are some grounds for pessimism that the diet revolution will not occur'. Am I right?

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Have a nice weekend.

Jiang

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea

X would be better able to bear Z than would Y be able to bear Z.

..., not to mention that it may leave us notably healthier and wealthier.

:D

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    :?
    Thank you very much for your explanation.

I am afraid I didn't express my ideas clearly.
    http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4628

:wink: