Post Thanks / Like

Default pronoun refer to whom?

Margie even wrote about it that night in her diary. On the page headed May 17, 2157, she wrote, "Today, Tommy found a real book!"
    It was a very old book. Margie's grandfather once said that when he was a little boy his grandfather told him that there was a time when all stories were printed on paper.
    They turned the pages, which were yellow and crinkly, and it was awfully funny to read words that stood still instead of moving the way they were supposed to--on a screen, you know. And then, when they turned back to the page before, it had the same words on it that it had had when they read it the first time.
    "Gee," said Tommy, "what a waste. When you're through with the book, you just throw it away, I guess. Our television screen must have had a million books on it and it's good for plenty more. I wouldn't throw it away."

Could you tell the highlighted pronoun refer to what/whom in this passage?
    Last edited by user_gary; 13-May-2007 at 07:41.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: pronoun refer to whom?

It was a very old book.
    They turned the pages : Who are the main characters in this story? Look back three sentences and you will find your answer.

Gee," said Tommy, "what a waste. When you're through with the book, you just throw it away, I guess. Our television screen must have had a million books on it and it's good for plenty more. I wouldn't throw it away. I really think you ought to be able to work this one out for yourself! Who is Tommy talking to? What is he talking about? Who apart from Tommy is in the house?

Post Thanks / Like

Again thank you Anglika for all threads.

Ok,
    I am writing you what I understood, after reading, please tell me where I am wrong.

In the paragraph, [`Gee," said Tommy, "what a waste...................... I wouldn't throw it away".], first Tommy said when you(Margie) complete reading this book, you(Margie) would throw it(the old book) away. It imples to me that as though Tommy would not throw the old book after reading it.

Next my confusion is :

In the line, (Our television screen...............I wouldn't throw it away.)

First Tommy used the pronoun `Our', then he said `I" wouldn't throw it away. It implies me that Tommy wouldn't throw the Television but Margie would throw it.

So, If it was `we' in place of `you' and `I', there would be no confusion on my mind.

Please help me.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by user_gary View Post
    Again thank you Anglika for all threads.

Ok,
    I am writing you what I understood, after reading, please tell me where I am wrong.

In the paragraph, [`Gee," said Tommy, "what a waste...................... I wouldn't throw it away".], first Tommy said when you(Margie) complete reading this book, you(Margie) would throw it(the old book) away. It imples to me that as though Tommy would not throw the old book after reading it. I agree - it makes sense that way. However, it can also be read as a generalised "you" meaning anyone - more formally it could be written as "When one finishes...one throws it away".

Next my confusion is :

In the line, (Our television screen...............I wouldn't throw it away.)

First Tommy used the pronoun `Our', then he said `I" wouldn't throw it away. It implies me that Tommy wouldn't throw the Television but Margie would throw it. "Our" refers to Tommy's family - it's his family's television screen. And yes, Tommy wouldn't throw it out. If you remember. Tommy and Margie are not brother and sister.

So, If it was `we' in place of `you' and `I', there would be no confusion on my mind.

Please help me.