Post Thanks / Like

Default through with the book

Margie even wrote about it that night in her diary. On the page headed May 17, 2157, she wrote, "Today, Tommy found a real book!"
    It was a very old book. Margie's grandfather once said that when he was a little boy his grandfather told him that there was a time when all stories were printed on paper.
    They turned the pages, which were yellow and crinkly, and it was awfully funny to read words that stood still instead of moving the way they were supposed to--on a screen, you know. And then, when they turned back to the page before, it had the same words on it that it had had when they read it the first time.
    "Gee," said Tommy, "what a waste. When you're through with the book, you just throw it away, I guess. Our television screen must have had a million books on it and it's good for plenty more. I wouldn't throw it away.

[Source : http://www.educationalsynthesis.org/language/FunHad.doc ]

I think, here two people talking with each other and that two people is (Tommy and Margie). And the red text has been spoken by Tommy to Margie, I guess. So, the blue coloured word `you' must be spoken by Tommy to Margie.

But someone told be that blue coloured `you' is referred to someone/anyone who is reading the text.

So, I am confused.

Could anyone help me on this please?

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: through with the book

You are right. Tommy is talking to Margie so addresses her as "you".

Nb corrections:
    I think that here two people are talking with each other and that these two people are (Tommy and Margie).