Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Paraphrasing Help

Hi,
    I would like to receive additonal suggestions on how to improve my paraphrasing skills.

I am including two samples for feedback that I paraphrased. I am working on my paraphrasing skills because I am working on my writing skills in hopes of writing articles/books later on.

Original Passage

The dynamics and change that characterize coping as a process are not random; they are a function of continuous appraisals and reappraisals of the shifting person-environment relationship. Shifts may be the result of coping efforts directed at changing the environment, or coping directed inward that changes the meaning of the event or increases understanding. They may also be the result of changes in the environment that are independent of the person and his or her coping activity. (Lazarus & Folkman, 1984, p. 142)

My Paraphrase

Everyone has their own way of copes differently with situations that occur in their lives. They can look at how others cope and apply those methods to their situation. Sometimes this works and sometimes, it does not but no two situations are the same. That is why coping is not random, but a unique, personal, methodological process that is learned from everyone and everything in that individualís world. Coping can be learned from families, community, and areas that one interacts with. Sometimes, all a situation requires is adjusting a few things around instead of coping. Therefore coping is continually changing to reflect the situation at hand. Sometimes coping takes on a mind of its own and handles the coping for an individual. When this happens, everything changes and coping takes on a new meaning (Lazarus & Folkman, 1984).

Original Passage

All social interrelations and interactions are rooted in a certain common sociophysiological endowment of every individual involved in them. These physiological bases of social behavior-which have their ultimate seat or locus in the lower part of the individualís central nervous system-are the bases of such behavior, precisely because they in themselves are also social; that is, because they consist in drives or instincts or behavior tendencies, on the part of the individual, which he cannot carry out or give overt expression and satisfaction to without the co-operative aid of one or more other individuals. (Mead, 1934, p. 139)

My Paraphrase

Mead (1934) argued that humans are social beings and cannot exist any other way. It is part of an individualís nature to be social, it is rooted deep inside of everyone. One cannot exist by himself or herself because they were made to interact with others and that is a part of human nature. Human nature provided us with the intricacies that allow us to naturally behave and act a certain way. Therefore one can conclude that human behavior consists of our physical nature and the nervous system with the individual as the vehicle to initiate such.

Jason72 is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Paraphrasing Help

Tha main point of paraphrasing is to simplify or clarify that original passage. Bear that in mind!

This can help you: Paraphrasing

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the suggestion. I already looked at several websites. Each time I turn in a paraphrase assignment, I lose points for leaving out essential points that belong to the author. So based on what I posted, could you please tell me if I am hopeless or I need to start from scratch? I have no problem working my tail off until I perfect it but I would appreciate some feedback on how I am really doing.
    Thanks much

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone has their own way of coping differently with situations that occur in their lives.
    Is this in the original text? In a paraphrase, you shouldn't add things that are not there.
    Sometimes this works and sometimes, it does not but no two situations are the same.
    Again, I think this is changing the text a bit. The appraisals and re-appraisals,if that is what you based it on, could be more than just assessing success and failure, including improvements, etc. Also, the comma should be after 'not'.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for letting me know. I sent it in and the comment it came back with said that I added my own words. I have a bad habit of doing that with paraphrasing. This is the most challenging part of writing for me.
    Thank you for your feedback. I'll give it another try.