Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Old 45s

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    90
    Post Thanks / Like

    Old 45s

    Hi, I've got another Bridget Jones's question. In this sentence:
    "a cardboard box full of old 45s which slithered out all over the floor."
    What are "old 45s"? I really have no idea here. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Jason72 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    404
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Old 45s

    The 45s is a card game.
    Look here: The 45's Card Game

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    90
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Old 45s

    Excellent! thanks

  4. #4
    Jason72 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    404
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Old 45s

    You're welcome!

  5. #5
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Old 45s

    Old 45s - Vinyl records that were played at a speed of 45 revolutions per minute. They were singles - one song on each side - and about 15cms across.

  6. #6
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Old 45s

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Old 45s - Vinyl records that were played at a speed of 45 revolutions per minute. They were singles - one song on each side - and about 15cms across.
    Bridget Jones was certainly referring to these, and not to a card game.

  7. #7
    Ouisch's Avatar
    Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Old 45s

    They're the records referred to as "seven inch singles" in the UK.

  8. #8
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Old 45s

    Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    They're the records referred to as "seven inch singles" in the UK.
    They haven't always been called that. But in late '60s and early '70s, when groups started releasing album tracks as singles, the typical 7" version wasn't big enough - hence 'twelve inch single' and, by contrast, 'seven inch single'.

    But in the '50s and early '60s, when pop audiences were content with 2 or three verses + instrumental + repeat one verse, a 45 was just a 45 (which happened to be seven inches across).

    b

  9. #9
    Ouisch's Avatar
    Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Old 45s

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    They haven't always been called that. But in late '60s and early '70s, when groups started releasing album tracks as singles, the typical 7" version wasn't big enough - hence 'twelve inch single' and, by contrast, 'seven inch single'.

    But in the '50s and early '60s, when pop audiences were content with 2 or three verses + instrumental + repeat one verse, a 45 was just a 45 (which happened to be seven inches across).

    b

    Aha, gotcha. I only started traveling to the UK after that era - in the mid-1980s, - and when I scoured through the used record shops, they were called "7 inch singles." One snarky guy made a remark about Americans and their love of guns when I asked where the 45s were.

  10. #10
    Jason72 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    404
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Old 45s

    Hum... I'm old... This was new, thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •