has or had

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack

"Yesterday, my mom brought her own bike so I hadn't have to take her for a ride." <-- is "hadn't have" correct? if i used "hadn't had" is wrong right?

henry

jack said:
"Yesterday, my mom brought her own bike so I hadn't have to take her for a ride." <-- is "hadn't have" correct? if i used "hadn't had" is wrong right?

It should be " Hadn't had to take her for a ride." But why not write " so I didn't have to take her."

I have to take.( present)
I had to take.(past)
I have had to take.( present perfect)
I had had to take.( past perfect)
I will have to take her.( future)

:wink:

jack

"My mom has her own bike so I haven't had to take her for a ride."
It means that until now it has not been necessary to give her a ride on his bike. 'Haven't have' is wrong because we use a past participle after the auxiliary verb 'have'.

so

why "Hadn't had" is correct? Why ist "hadn't have" incorrect? Is there a rule for "hadn't had" too? Do i use past participle for "had not"?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Have + past participle
Has + past participle
Had + past participle
;-)

jack

"Should have known you had the goods Bill!"
"Should have known you have the goods Bill!"
What is the difference in meaning between the two?

"You had your share and now you want my share?"
"You have your share and now you want my share?"
Lets say the scenario is: He just finished his share of the cake and now he wants mine and i haven't started eating yet. Do i use have or had? Why?

"Lets say the scenario is: He just finished his share of the cake and now he wants mine and i haven't started eating yet."
Also is my gammar correct for the scenario above? Is "have not started" correct? or should it be "had not started"? why?

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
jack said:

Yes. 'hadn't have' is incorrect. Use the Simple Past:

Yesterday, ...so I didn't have to take her for a ride.

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
1. I should have known you had the goods Bill!
==> Reference to having the goods in the past.

2. I should have known you have the goods Bill!
==> Reference to having the goods now in the present, in the sense that you have what it takes to do the job.

3. You had your share and now you want my share?
==> You've eaten your share already.

4. You have your share and now you want my share?
==> You haven't eaten your share yet.

All the best, :D

jack

"I have used this rollerblades only for a couple of times." <--what does this setence mean? When do i use it?
"I had used this rollerblades only for a couple of times." <--what does this setence mean? When do i use it?

Lets say i am trying to sell my rollerbaldes, which setence would i use?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If the rollerblades got broken and you were talking about the time before this, you'd use "I had used this rollerblades only a couple of times". If you're talking in the present about the blades and they are still working, use the present perfect. ;-)

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
jack said:
"I have used this rollerblades only for a couple of times." <--what does this setence mean? When do i use it?
"I had used this rollerblades only for a couple of times." <--what does this setence mean? When do i use it?

Lets say i am trying to sell my rollerbaldes, which setence would i use?

Note, the noun rollerblades is plural in number, so the demonstrative should also be plural in number (i.e. these rollerblades)

Present Perfect
I have used these rollerblades only a couple of times.
==> When the speaker used the rollerblades is not important to him/her. What's important to the speaker is the event: rollerblades used only a couple of times. The Present Perfect is wonderful because it allows speakers to talk about an event without having to mention when the event happened.

Past Perfect
I had used these rollerblades only a couple of times before they broke.
==> Use the Past Perfect when you want to connect to events in the past. Use words such as 'before' and 'after', like this,

Event #1: I used the rollerblades.
Event #2: The rollerblades broke.

Events #1 and #2): I had used the rollerblades before they broke.
==> Meaning: First, I used the rollerblades and then the rollerblades broke.

Use the Past Perfect to express the first event and the Simple Past to express the second event:

I had used (Past Perfect) these rollerblades before theybroke (Simple Past).

The Past Perfect verb tells us which event happened first:

He called me after I had eaten lunch.

Event #1 = Past Perfect = I had eaten lunch
Event #2 = Simple Past = He called me

Meaning: First I ate lunch and then he called.

All the best,

jack

"He called me after I had eaten lunch. "
"He have called me after I had eaten lunch. " <--is this incorrect? why? what does the sentence mean when i add "have" to it?
"He had called me after I had eaten lunch. " <--is this incorrect? why? what does the sentence mean when i add "had" to it?

"If it had been a while that you have talked to that person you should give them a copy of your resume for your reference." <--Correct? what does this sentence mean? When would i use it?
"If it has been a while that you have talked to that person you should give them a copy of your resume for your reference." <-- Correct? what does this sentence mean? When would i use it?

"It has been a while that you have talked to that person."
"It had been a while that I have talked to that person after his new carrer change."
For the above two sentences, I would use the first one if i don't have a 2nd event to it right? What does the first and second setence mean?

"I would have had been killed." <--What does this sentence mean?
"I would have been killed." <--What does this sentence mean?

"Lewis had had enough. " <--What does this sentence mean?
"Lewis have had enough. <--What does this sentence mean?

I know I had fun singing it. <--correct? What does this sentence mean?
I knew I had fun singing it. <--correct? What does this sentence mean?
I know i have fun singing it. <--correct? What does this sentence mean?
I knew i had fun singing it. <--correct? What does this sentence mean?

Sorry for the tiresome list.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

"He have called me after I had eaten lunch. " <--is this incorrect? why? what does the sentence mean when i add "have" to it?
Yes, it is incorrect- it would be 'has', but even then it doesn't work because the time is finished.

"He had called me after I had eaten lunch. " <--is this incorrect? why? what does the sentence mean when i add "had" to it?
This doesn't work, because the 'had' in the second half means that it is the first of two actions. If you add 'had' to the first half, then the sequence makes no sense.

I'll have a look at the others later- I'm on a break at work and have to rush. ;-)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jack said:

It doesn't mean anything with "have" there. Say:
  • He had called me after I had eaten lunch.
In other words, you ate lunch and then he called you. (There is no point in inserting "had" into that sentence either. It is not past perfect.)

jack said:

Inserting "had" into it does not change the meaning of the sentence. It adds an extra word.

jack said:
"If it had been a while that you have talked to that person you should give them a copy of your resume for your reference." <--Correct? what does this sentence mean? When would i use it?

No, it is not correct. Hopefully, you would never use it. (It doesn't mean anything.) Try:
  • If it has been a while since you have talked to that person, you should give him a copy of your resume.

jack said:
"If it has been a while that you have talked to that person you should give them a copy of your resume for your reference." <-- Correct? what does this sentence mean? When would i use it?

Try:
  • If it has been a while since you have talked to that person, you should give him a copy of your resume.
Presumably, you want to keep that person informed and up to date so he or she can help you in your job search.

jack said:
"It has been a while that you have talked to that person."
"It had been a while that I have talked to that person after his new carrer change."
For the above two sentences, I would use the first one if i don't have a 2nd event to it right? What does the first and second setence mean?

You can't use "that" there. Instead, say:
  • It has been a while since you have talked to that person.

jack said:
"I would have had been killed." <--What does this sentence mean?

I don't know.

jack said:
"I would have been killed." <--What does this sentence mean?

If something (which is not mentioned) had happened you would have been killed.

jack said:
"Lewis had had enough. " <--What does this sentence mean?

"He had had enough" means he was unwilling to put up with anymore.

jack said:
"Lewis have had enough. <--What does this sentence mean?

You can't use "have" in the third person singular.

jack said:
I know I had fun singing it. <--correct? What does this sentence mean?

You enjoyed singing the song. (It is a little odd to use "know" in such a sentence.)

jack said:
I knew I had fun singing it. <--correct? What does this sentence mean?

I don't know. What do you think it means? :)

jack said:
I know i have fun singing it. <--correct? What does this sentence mean?

I assume it means that you enjoy singing the song. (The sentence is a little odd with "know" in there.)

jack said:
I knew i had fun singing it. <--correct? What does this sentence mean?

Sorry for the tiresome list.

It means nothing to me.

:(

jack

sorry, i still don't get why this is incorrect:

"If it had been a while that you have talked to that person you should give them a copy of your resume for your reference."

Why is "had" wrong? Is it because i have no 2nd event to it?

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
jack said:
sorry, i still don't get why this is incorrect:

"If it had been a while that you have talked to that person you should give them a copy of your resume for your reference."

Why is "had" wrong? Is it because i have no 2nd event to it?

If it's been some time since you've talked to that person, then you should give her a copy of your resume for reference.

If it'd been some time since you had talked to that person, then you should give him a copy of your resume for reference.

All the best,

jack

Alred said that he had finished the job and that we could go. <--correct? why? what does the sentence mean?

Alred said that he has finished the job and that we could go. <--correct? why? what does the sentence mean?

henry

They both are incorrect because the sentence(s) used is(are) Reported/Indirect Speech.

Direct Speech: Alred said, " I have finished the job. We can go (now)."

Indirect Speech: Alred said that he had finished the job and the they could go (then).

For Reported/Indirect Speech, have a look at

http://esl.about.com/library/grammar/blreported.htm

jack

"They must have been drunk." <---what does the sentence mean? How / when do i use it?

"They must had been drunk." <---what does the sentence mean? How / when do I use it?

Lets say the scenario is i am watching this funny clip my pal sent me and the people in the clip looks drunk and i want to say the people in that clip looks drunk. So do i use the first sentence or second sentence?

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
1. They must have been drunk (at that time). Grammatical
2. They must had been drunk. Ungrammatical
3. They had to have been drunk. Grammatical

3. They must be drunk. / I think they're drunk. / They look (like they are)drunk.

All the best,

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
jack said:
"They must have been drunk." <---what does the sentence mean? How / when do i use it?

"They must had been drunk." <---what does the sentence mean? How / when do I use it?

Lets say the scenario is i am watching this funny clip my pal sent me and the people in the clip looks drunk and i want to say the people in that clip looks drunk. So do i use the first sentence or second sentence?

Use the first- it's correct, but the second is not. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.