Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default rationally and reasonably

    Dear teachers,
    Please read the sentence:

    Historians can usually argue________ .
    a. rationally b. reasonably
    The key is 'b'. Could you please explain why 'a' isn't correct?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang
    Last edited by jiang; 21-May-2007 at 11:05.

  2. #2
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,572
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: rationally and reasonably

    The person who set the test believes that it is in the nature of all historians to produce rational arguments 'usually'. I disagree - and agree with you that a is possible. For example, a historian who claims that the Holocaust didn't happen (as some do) is not arguing rationally.

    b

  3. #3
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: rationally and reasonably

    Dear BobK,Thank you very much for your explanation. But I got a little bit confused by your explanation. According to you 'to produce rational arguments 'usually' means 'he believes historians usually produce rational arguments'. Then he should choose 'a'. Is that right?Looking forward to hearing from you.Thank you in advance.JiangWhat I can understand this only this: 'rational' is possible. That means both 'rationally' and 'reasonably' are correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    The person who set the test believes that it is in the nature of all historians to produce rational arguments 'usually'. I disagree - and agree with you that a is possible. For example, a historian who claims that the Holocaust didn't happen (as some do) is not arguing rationally.

    b

  4. #4
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,572
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: rationally and reasonably

    No. I meant that the person who set the question believed this:

    "Historians always argue rationally, so a is not a possible answer - as it's always true."

    I disagree. I think both answers are possible.

    b

  5. #5
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: rationally and reasonably


    If "Historians always argue rationally" and 'a' is 'rationally' that means 'a' is correct? Or I guess I am confused by the meaning of the word 'rationally'?
    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    No. I meant that the person who set the question believed this:

    "Historians always argue rationally, so a is not a possible answer - as it's always true."

    I disagree. I think both answers are possible.

    b

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: rationally and reasonably

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Dear teachers,
    Please read the sentence:

    Historians can usually argue________ .
    a. rationally b. reasonably
    The key is 'b'. Could you please explain why 'a' isn't correct?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang
    When we are having an arguement, we usually provide evidences or reasons to support our ideas. Therefore, my guess is that we use the word reasonablly more often with an arguement, opinion or idea which may needs further comfirmation; and we use the word rationally to express something, such as behaviour, that people generally accept. Just my guess, correct me if I am wrong! In addition, I am a learner, not a teacher. I jumped in because I found this thread is quite interesting, hope you won't mind.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: rationally and reasonably

    "rational" is always uses for a state of mind or behavior,for example,he is a rational person. it means that he is not impulsive when he deal with everything.and if he face some troubles or dangers,he can calm himself connecting with reality.
    "reasonable" means that something is based on some reasons,always used for the state of having good sense and judgment or something in logic,for example,a reasonable price,it may means that the price of the object is based much on its value

    however, the two words sometimes have similar mean
    we can say a rational/reasonable person,it means the person is not impulsive decide/agree/oppose something in logic

    so 'b' may be much right,Historians argue something based on evidences
    'a' means more that Historians is not impulsive when they decide something

  8. #8
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: rationally and reasonably

    No, I don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by chichiu57 View Post
    When we are having an arguement, we usually provide evidences or reasons to support our ideas. Therefore, my guess is that we use the word reasonablly more often with an arguement, opinion or idea which may needs further comfirmation; and we use the word rationally to express something, such as behaviour, that people generally accept. Just my guess, correct me if I am wrong! In addition, I am a learner, not a teacher. I jumped in because I found this thread is quite interesting, hope you won't mind.

  9. #9
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: rationally and reasonably

    Many thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by waterluo View Post
    "rational" is always uses for a state of mind or behavior,for example,he is a rational person. it means that he is not impulsive when he deal with everything.and if he face some troubles or dangers,he can calm himself connecting with reality.
    "reasonable" means that something is based on some reasons,always used for the state of having good sense and judgment or something in logic,for example,a reasonable price,it may means that the price of the object is based much on its value

    however, the two words sometimes have similar mean
    we can say a rational/reasonable person,it means the person is not impulsive decide/agree/oppose something in logic

    so 'b' may be much right,Historians argue something based on evidences
    'a' means more that Historians is not impulsive when they decide something

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •