• Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

• Post Thanks / Like

Question Present continuous tense

In the sentence : " Please give our love to your folks! Hope your dad is doing well and still making his pepper sauce ! "

why the present continuous was used in : hope your dad is doing well. If it was said Hope your dad is well would that be the same ?

second question. was anything implied in the use of present continuous in both sentences? and the use of the wrod still?

third question: there is no subject before hope. As there is a sentence before the word can we consider them as one and take as we hope or I hope ?

thanks

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Present continuous tense

Hi San
    Please scroll:

Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    In the sentence : " Please give our love to your folks! Hope your dad is doing well and still making his pepper sauce ! "

why the present continuous was used in (why was the present continuous used in): hope your dad is doing well. If it was said (if it said)Hope your dad is well would that be the same ?

YES, PRETTY MUCH. SOMETIMES "DOING WELL" CAN MEAN THAT A PERSON IS RECOVERING FROM SOME SORT OF ILLNESS OR SETBACK. IT CAN ALSO MEAN THAT A BUSINESS ENDEAVOUR OR SOMETHING JOB-RELATED IS SUCCESSFUL. HOWEVER, IT DOES ALSO SIMPLY MEAN "IN GOOD HEALTH", JUST LIKE "WELL". YOU PROBABLY KNOW WHICH CONTEXT BETTER THAN I!
    second question. was anything implied in the use of present continuous in both sentences? and the use of the wrod still? SEE ABOVE AND NO, NOTHING IMPLIED, JUST OBVIOUSLY STATED.

third question: there is no subject before hope. As there is a sentence before the word can we consider them as one and take as we hope or I hope ? YES!

thanks
    ANYTIME

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

• Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Fiona !

your answer to the third questions is a bit confusing. Does it mean that we can understand as we hope? Only we hope?

i stated in my question we hope or I hope ? and your answer was yes.

Could you clarify please.

Thanks again !

• Post Thanks / Like

" Please give our love to your folks! Hope your dad is doing well and still making his pepper sauce ! "

third question: there is no subject before hope. As there is a sentence before the word can we consider them as one and take as we hope or I hope ?
    The subject could be We or I, "yes", and there's isn't a difference in meaning between the two. Given, however, the letter/email was written by one person, I'd say the subject was I. In other words,

Please give my family's love to your family and, also, I hope your dad is feeling better/healthier these days, well enough to be up and around in the kitchen making his pepper sauce.

Does that help?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

• Post Thanks / Like

thank you Casiopea Helps a lot!

• Post Thanks / Like

You're most welcome.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

• Post Thanks / Like

isnīt the word folks in american english used to refer specially to oneīs parents ? and not to refer to the whole family as in British english?

thanks

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea View Post
    The subject could be We or I, "yes", and there's isn't a difference in meaning between the two. Given, however, the letter/email was written by one person, I'd say the subject was I. In other words,

Please give my family's love to your family and, also, I hope your dad is feeling better/healthier these days, well enough to be up and around in the kitchen making his pepper sauce.

Does that help?
    Hi C,
    It does say "give our love", so although it was obviously written by one person, I think either "I" or "we" can be implied here. However, San, as Casiopea says, it doesn't alter meaning, so it doesn't really matter

• Post Thanks / Like

isnīt the word folks in american english used to refer specially to oneīs parents ? and not to refer to the whole family as in British english?

thanks
    Yes, only "parents", but it is a bit dated (I can't imagine a teenager saying this!) or perhaps regional...
    I didn't realize it meant the whole family in BrE; you learn something new every day!!
    F

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

• Post Thanks / Like