in/at/on the corner of

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi Experts,

"in the corner of" is used when referring to a concept of closed space.
The chair is in the classroom.

"at the corner of" and "on the corner of" are used to indicate an open space, say street or park.

But compare these sentences,
The tree is at the corner of the street.
The tree is on the corner of the street.

My assumption is that if the tree is planted right on the corner, we use "on". If it is round the corner, we use "at".

How about this one, is there any difference?
I met him at the corner of the street.
I met him on the corner of the street.

:roll: sabrina

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
blacknomi said:
Hi Experts,

"in the corner of" is used when referring to a concept of closed space.
The chair is in the classroom.

"at the corner of" and "on the corner of" are used to indicate an open space, say street or park.

But compare these sentences,
The tree is at the corner of the street.
The tree is on the corner of the street.

My assumption is that if the tree is planted right on the corner, we use "on". If it is round the corner, we use "at".

How about this one, is there any difference?
I met him at the corner of the street.
I met him on the corner of the street.

:roll: sabrina

These uses of "at" and "in" are a bit tricky. Either could be used for the tree or the meeting.

"At" tends to refer to a location; "on" tends to refer to a position. If the position is in the location, we can use either. "At the corner" and "on the corner" are sometimes/often interchangeable. We usually stand "on" the corner, not "at" the corner (position). But we meet "at the corner" (location) or "on the corner" (position).

henry

MikeNewYork said:
These uses of "at" and "in" are a bit tricky. Either could be used for the tree or the meeting.

"At" tends to refer to a location; "on" tends to refer to a position. If the position is in the location, we can use either. "At the corner" and "on the corner" are sometimes/often interchangeable. We usually stand "on" the corner, not "at" the corner (position). But we meet "at the corner" (location) or "on the corner" (position).

To understand your explanation, one should know the difference between "location" and " position". :wink:

:lol:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
henry said:
MikeNewYork said:

To understand your explanation, one should know the difference between "location" and " position". :wink:

True enough. It is sad, but one must know English to learn English -- from me. :wink:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
henry said:
MikeNewYork said:
True enough. It is sad, but one must know English to learn English -- from me. :wink:

Crazy.Really crazy!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:multi:

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
henry said:
MikeNewYork said:

YES, Henry. I can't agree with you MORE.
I was thinking the differences between 'location' and 'position', and I used my language to imagine.

"position" is more specifically designated than "location."
The space/area that a "location" covers might wider or broader than a "position".

Is that right?

Thank you in advcane to make my day.

:D :D :D :D sabrina

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
blacknomi said:
henry said:
MikeNewYork said:

YES, Henry. I can't agree with you MORE.
I was thinking the differences between 'location' and 'position', and I used my language to imagine.

"position" is more specifically designated than "location."
The space/area that a "location" covers might wider or broader than a "position".

Is that right?

Thank you in advcane to make my day.

:D :D :D :D sabrina

Yes, that's pretty good. :wink:

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
MikeNewYork said:

"At" tends to refer to a location; "on" tends to refer to a position. If the position is in the location, we can use either. "At the corner" and "on the corner" are sometimes/often interchangeable. We usually stand "on" the corner, not "at" the corner(position).But we meet "at the corner" (location) or "on the corner" (position).

Mike, there is a mistake.

:wink:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
blacknomi said:
MikeNewYork said:

"At" tends to refer to a location; "on" tends to refer to a position. If the position is in the location, we can use either. "At the corner" and "on the corner" are sometimes/often interchangeable. We usually stand "on" the corner, not "at" the corner(position).But we meet "at the corner" (location) or "on the corner" (position).

Mike, there is a mistake.

:wink:

Yes, you're right. That "position" should follow "on the corner". :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.