Anonymous Guest

Default tired of X tired from

Once, I read somewhere that there is a difference between "tired of" X "tired from", but I can´t find this in any dictionary or grammar. Can anyohe help me? (And please, indicate the source, where I can find this)

e.g:
    a. Anna is tired of doing her homework. [She no longer wants to do her homework. She is bored of doing homework.]

b. Anna is tired from doing her homework. [She feels physically exhausted from doing her homework.]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: tired of X tired from

Quote Originally Posted by Andréa
    Once, I read somewhere that there is a difference between "tired of" X "tired from", but I can´t find this in any dictionary or grammar. Can anyohe help me? (And please, indicate the source, where I can find this)

e.g:
    a. Anna is tired of doing her homework. [She no longer wants to do her homework. She is bored of doing homework.]

b. Anna is tired from doing her homework. [She feels physically exhausted from doing her homework.]
    Look at the definition, especially the underlined ones;

Main Entry: 1tire
    Pronunciation: 'tIr
    Function: verb
    Inflected Form(s): tired; tir·ing

intransitive senses : to become weary

transitive senses
    1 : to exhaust or greatly decrease the physical strength of : FATIGUE
    2 : to wear out the patience of : BORE

Hope that helps. :D

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: tired of X tired from

Quote Originally Posted by Andréa

e.g:

Yes, there is a difference and your examples and explanations are correct. "To tire of" is to become bored with. "To tire from" is to be exhausted by.